Trying to set up on new Mac, get message that it couldn't find an account

gweil
gweil
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Families

I cannot setup an existing 1Password with a Family License running on my iMAC on a new MacBook Pro. Received a message that "we couldn't find a 1Password account registered with your email address". Have tried numerous times I need phone support for this!

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MAC OS 10.12.1
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot set up existing 1Password Family License on a new MacBook pro

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gweil,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting 1Password set up on a new Mac! We'll be happy to help you with that.

You mentioned that you have a license for 1Password, but it sounds like you chose the option to sign in to an account on the setup screen. That might be the problem, because licenses and accounts are two different things. A 1Password.com account is a subscription service that we started offering this year. If you haven't signed up for an account on 1Password.com, you need to go back and choose a different option from the first setup screen when you open the 1Password app (for example, if you sync your 1Password data via Dropbox or iCloud, choose the "Find your data" option).

If you're curious about the difference between a 1Password account and a 1Password license, we explain more about that here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

Does that help at all? If not, please let us know how (or if) you're syncing your 1Password data and what option(s) you're choosing when trying to set it up on the new Mac, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• gweil
    gweil
    Community Member

Dear Drew.
    Thank you for your reply to my message. You are correct, I was not aware of the difference between a 1Password license and the (subscription) Account. Your message and the link you shared were helpful in helping me understand the difference. After I wrote you yesterday afternoon I continued to stumble around and finally was able install my 1Password on my new Macbook Pro. Along the way I must have inadvertantly signed up for a 1Pssword account since was able to obtain a copy of the 1Password Emergency Kit. After I installed 1 Password on my MacBook Pro apparently using my new subscription Account, I noticed that my 1Password program on both my iMac and the MacBook Pro now have duplicate entries, which is frankly quite annoying.

BTW: What is the annual cost of of the 1Password Account? Since I already own a Family License what is the additional annual cost to me of an Account?

You should know that I have been a loyal long term customer of Agile holding a variety of successive Single User and Family versions of 1Password licenses since 2009. I currently hold a Family License of ver 6.5.2 and also run separately purchased 1 Password mobile versions on 2 family IMacs, 2 iphones and 1 iPad. My wife runs her own 1Password program on her iMac under the terms of my Family license as well as a mobile version on her iPhone. We both currently respectively sync our individual computers and all of our devices via Dropbox.

I am quite confused by all of this and I really need your help in giving me the specific instructions for properly setting up or re- configuring 1Password on both of my and my wife's Apple iMac computers and our mobile devices. If I cannot solve this easily and quickly then I will regretfully cancel 1Password and look to obtain a different password program. Given what I experience as a lot of complexity involved here, I need to able to speak with you or someone else in customer service in a phone call (instead of writing back and forth on this support forum) to walk me through the process in order to efficiently accomplish the following:
    1. I want to be able to set up 2 different Vaults on either the Family Account or the Family License (should I decide to keep the latter and not as a Account subscriber): 1 vault for me and 1 vault for my wife on both of our iMacs, the same on our new MacBook Pro that we will share as 2 different users as well and our shared iPad. The 2 iPhones do not need that functionality but I am fine if they have it.
    2. Assuming we are successful in setting up the above, how do I then transfer my wife's data from her 1Password Vault on her iMac onto the appropriate vaults on my devices?
    I hope you can and are willing to accommodate my request in the spirit of more effective customer service. I await your response.
    Thank you,
    Gunther Weil

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gweil,

I'm glad my message was helpful! Sorry for the confusion about licenses & accounts. We're trying to make that clearer in future updates to the app. We still sell and support licenses, so you can absolutely continue using the license you purchased if you want.
    There are many benefits to using a 1Password.com account, though (especially if you want to share a vault with your wife or other family members), so if you signed up for one, you might want to try it out during the free trial period to see if you like it.

After I installed 1 Password on my MacBook Pro apparently using my new subscription Account, I noticed that my 1Password program on both my iMac and the MacBook Pro now have duplicate entries

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure why that happened, but it might be easy to get rid of the duplicates, depending on whether they are in the same vault or separate vaults. If you open the 1Password app on your Mac, do you see the vault switcher in the top left corner? If so, it will show probably say 'All Vaults', or possibly the name of an individual vault. If it says 'All Vaults', click on that and choose the first individual vault below that (which should be either Primary or Personal). Once you choose that vault, do you still see duplicates of all your items, or just one copy of each?

What is the annual cost of of the 1Password Account?

The price is different depending on whether you sign up for an individual account or a Families account. It sounds like you would want a Families account so you can share vaults with your wife, but you can find prices for each type of account on our Pricing page.

We both currently respectively sync our individual computers and all of our devices via Dropbox.

Have you been sharing a 1Password vault with your wife via Dropbox folder sharing? Or do you mean you haven't shared vaults with each other before but would like to set that up now?

I am quite confused by all of this and I really need your help in giving me the specific instructions for properly setting up or re- configuring 1Password on both of my and my wife's Apple iMac computers and our mobile devices.

We'll be happy to help you get things all sorted out! I'm afraid we don't have the means to provide inbound phone support, though: we’re a small team with limited resources, and we’re much better equipped to help via email or this support forum. But that's often beneficial as it allows you to work on things at your own pace. If you'd prefer email support instead of using these public forums, please feel free to contact us at: support@agilebits.com

1. I want to be able to set up 2 different Vaults on either the Family Account or the Family License (should I decide to keep the latter and not as a Account subscriber): 1 vault for me and 1 vault for my wife on both of our iMacs, the same on our new MacBook Pro that we will share as 2 different users as well and our shared iPad. The 2 iPhones do not need that functionality but I am fine if they have it.

That's very easy to set up if you and your wife use a 1Password Families account. By default, you would each have your own 'Personal' vault, and you would both have access to a 'Shared' vault (you can create additional vaults if you want to). There are no sync settings to configure - you would simply sign into your account from the 1Password app on your own devices (and your wife would sign into her account on her devices), and any data in your account vaults will sync there automatically.

Alternately, if you decide to use 1Password without an account, you can sync your vaults via Dropbox, and you can also choose to set up Dropbox folder sharing to share vaults with your wife. However, that's a more complicated setup. If you want this all to be as easy as possible, I recommend a 1Password Families account.

2. Assuming we are successful in setting up the above, how do I then transfer my wife's data from her 1Password Vault on her iMac onto the appropriate vaults on my devices?

If you and your wife currently each have your data in one or more local vaults (i.e. vaults that are not part of a 1Password.com account), you would just need to move that data from the local vault(s) to your account vault(s). Anything one of you puts in the Shared vault will be available on the other's devices. We explain more about that here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I know this is a lot of information, but hopefully it helps you decide how you'd like to use 1Password and sync/share your data. Please let us know if you have more questions and if you'd like help setting things up with a license or with an account. Thanks! :)

• gweil
    gweil
    Community Member

Hi Drew:
    Re: Your Dec 15 replies to my Dec 13 message.
    I am currently running a DEMO 1Password Families Account. I am willing to give it a try for the month trial period if I can finally set things up correctly on all of our computers and mobile devices.
    Re Phone support:
    As i mentioned in my previous entry, I am quite confused by all of this and I really need your help in giving me the specific instructions for properly setting up or re- configuring 1Password Account on both of my and my wife's Apple iMac computers and our 3 mobile devices.
    Frankly, we could much more efficiently handle all of this in a 15-20 minute conversation compared to the time you and I are spending on writing back and forth in this Support Forum. I don't understand why you cannot or will not accommodate this even though you are a small support team, especially for a long term customer such as myself.

Re: Duplicate entries
    When I click on either Primary or Personal in the Vaults Switcher it shows only a single entry. That solves this tissue for me. Thank you.
    However, I don't understand why is there both a Personal and Primary Vault in my Account? This seems like a unnecessary duplication.. Please clarify.

Next Steps:
    Please give me the exact, specific steps I need to do to accomplish the following:
    1. How do I set up my wife with her own Personal Vault on our (Demo) Families Account on both my iMac and her iMac? She is currently running 1Password on her iMac on my existing Family License.
    2. Similarly how do I add my wife's Personal Vault to our new shared MacBook Pro which is now running the 1Password Families Account DEMO which currently is showing only my Personal and Primary Vault when I open the Vault Switcher?
    3. Similarly, how do I add my wife's Personal Vault to my iPad which is running my 1Password Family License 1Password?
    3. We both have iphones running IOS 1Passwords apps which reflect my current 1Password Family license and are synced with our 2 respective iMacs via Dropbox? How do we now set up or re-configure these apps to use the (DEMO) Family Account so we both can access the functionality of the Family Account without needing to sync via Dropbox?
    4. How do I migrate my wife's data to her vault on all of these devices?

Thank you,
    Gunther Weil

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

Hi @gweil,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you! Glad to hear you're trying out a 1Password Families account - I think it will be really helpful for you and your wife once everything is set up. I've moved this discussion to our Families forum where more of our experts in this area will be able to help.

When I click on either Primary or Personal in the Vaults Switcher it shows only a single entry. That solves this tissue for me. Thank you.
    However, I don't understand why is there both a Personal and Primary Vault in my Account? This seems like a unnecessary duplication.. Please clarify.

The Primary vault is not part of your 1Password.com account - it's a separate vault that only exists locally on a device unless you sync it elsewhere by using a sync option such as iCloud or Dropbox. The reason you have a Primary vault is because you had been using the 1Password app before you signed up for an account, and it's where you originally stored all your items.

The Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. (If you signed up for a Families account on 1Password.com, you should also have a Shared vault in that account.) The Personal vault is meant to replace your old Primary vault. Normally, when switching to a 1Password.com account, you would want to move your items from Primary to Personal. Instead, it sounds like you chose to copy your items, which resulted in having copies of all the same items in both vaults.

If you have all your latest data in your Personal vault, you should actually delete the Primary vault to avoid further confusion:

1. Open 1Password and use the vault switcher (in the top left corner) to switch to the Primary vault.
    2. Go to 1Password > Delete Vault... in the menubar.
    3. Read the warning that appears, then enter the master password for your Primary vault and click Delete Items and Vault.
    4. Enter the master password for your account (it may or may not be the same as the one for your Primary vault) and click Update Master Password.

Now you will only see your account vaults in 1Password on your Mac (and you'll only have one copy of each item).

1. How do I set up my wife with her own Personal Vault on our (Demo) Families Account on both my iMac and her iMac? She is currently running 1Password on her iMac on my existing Family License.

First you'll need to invite your wife:

1. Sign into your own account on 1Password.com.
    2. Click your account name in the top right corner of the site and choose Admin Console.
    3. Click the Invitations link near the top.
    4. Follow the steps there to invite your wife.

Once your wife joins, she'll need to move her own existing 1Password data to her new Personal vault by following the steps here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

2. Similarly how do I add my wife's Personal Vault to our new shared MacBook Pro which is now running the 1Password Families Account DEMO which currently is showing only my Personal and Primary Vault when I open the Vault Switcher?

The 1Password app doesn't support being signed into two different users on the same Families account at the same time. If your wife wants to access her own Personal vault from your Mac, she can sign into her own Families user from 1Password.com in a web browser, or you can set up her own Mac user account on that Mac (she would have her own setup within the 1Password app when signed into her Mac user on that Mac).

3. Similarly, how do I add my wife's Personal Vault to my iPad which is running my 1Password Family License 1Password?

Similar to my answer about the Mac app, that's not supported in the iOS app. However, is it possible you're simply asking how you and your wife can share items with each other, so you have access to those items from your devices, and she has access to those same items from hers? If so, you'll want to move items to the Shared vault in your Families account. We explain that here: Share passwords and other items with your whole family

3. We both have iphones running IOS 1Passwords apps which reflect my current 1Password Family license and are synced with our 2 respective iMacs via Dropbox? How do we now set up or re-configure these apps to use the (DEMO) Family Account so we both can access the functionality of the Family Account without needing to sync via Dropbox?

As long as you've already moved your items from your Primary vault to your new account vault(s), the best method is to open 1Password on your iOS device and go to 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data. Then set up the app again by signing into your account. (We're working on making this easier in the future.)

4. How do I migrate my wife's data to her vault on all of these devices?

She'll need to follow the same steps on her devices that you follow on yours. That should all be explained above, but please let us know if you have trouble with that or if you have any questions.

Please let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.