To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

my.1password Master Password problem

Options
redinblack
redinblack
Community Member

Hey all, Please don't laugh but in attempting to make things easier for myself, Ive signed up for a 1password account and mostly got everything sorted but I have now forgot my account password (I know, my fault). While I have access to my data, I can no longer sign in to my account via the website. I have all other details like the account key and things, its just the password. What are my options at present? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @redinblack! Don't worry, these things happen to the best of us!

One of the main security features of 1Password is that your self-chosen master password is never transmitted; this makes it much harder for a malicious individual to get a hold of it, but it also means we don't have a copy of it either. As your data is encrypted using your master password, there's no way for us to decrypt your data to reset the password for you.

We have a guide that we put together with some tips-and-tricks to try when a master password has been lost or forgotten; some of our customers have told us it has helped them to get their master password back, so maybe you'll have some luck with it too: https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

Failing that, when you set up your subscription account, did you migrate pre-existing 1Password data over to the account? If so, and if you still have a local copy of your data from before the migration, another option would be to delete the subscription account and create a new one; you could then migrate your data over to the new account again. If you'd like to explore that option, probably the best way to go about it would be to create some 1Password diagnostics reports from the devices you have the 1Password apps installed on, and email those in to us (don't post them here!). The reports will give us a better idea of your setup and any local data that might still be on your devices, and we can work from there.

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• ox4dboy
    ox4dboy
    Community Member
    Options

@redinblack try searching your email for "emergency kit" and see if you ever set this up a long time ago. It should be in the email you first used for purchase 1Password.

• @ox4dboy The Emergency Kit is only available on 1Password.com. It must be downloaded in the browser. The server doesn't send it anywhere because it includes your Account Key, and that is never transmitted. Please don't email your Emergency Kit to yourself or anyone else — email is unencrypted, so your Account Key could be exposed to others, and it works with your Master Password to encrypt your account. ;)

• redinblack
    redinblack
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and replies, much appreciated. I tried to think of what the master password could and while have part of it, I still can't remember it all. With that in mind I have sent on the requested information and the support ID is #THP-34582-258. Deleting the account and starting again is probably the best option as I have all my data stored locally as well. Thanks again.

• @redinblack Thanks for sending that over. I'll get back to you in a few minutes and we can keep the conversation going via email for now.

ref: THP-34582-258

• redinblack
    redinblack
    Community Member
    Options

All problems resolved and I'm backup and running. Amazing help and support, thank you so much:)

• Love hearing that! :) You're most welcome.

This discussion has been closed.