To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Mac Book only sees "Personal" vault, What is the online "account" and what exactly did I buy?

Options
PatMax
PatMax
Community Member

I am the sole user of an iMac, a Mac Book Pro and a 5s iphone all running the latest software. Wanting to get away from bits of paper and become more secure in my password management, I tried Keychain Access but found it does not have the control and convenience I think I need. I decided to try 1Password based various recommendations including Tech Talk America which I follow on You tube.

So, I made a recent (first time) purchase of 1Password via Apple Store of what turned out to be 1 Password -  Password Manager and Secure Wallet 6.5.2 which I installed on my iMac. As I had watched several YouTube tutorials, I started to play with the app and was able to semi manually set up, a couple of Logins, so far so good.

At some point, it seems I went on to the 1Password site and set up (was steered into setting up?) an “account” thinking it was the natural course having purchased the app, I am now starting to believe/understand it is something separate?

Next I set up my Mac Book I think through my account page, choosing the Drop Box option for syncing, and everything seemed fine so I went on and added the app for my phone which went well.

Continuing to add logins I came to realize that my Mac Book was not syncing while my phone seemed fine. That is when I discovered that I must have added a second vault named “Personal” on my iMac maybe when I was on your site, a vault which I am not sure I need or want at this time.

Having learned that new items are added only to the Primary vault and that my Mac Book only shows the “Personal” vault in preferences I imagine this to be my Issue and that I may have opened an account I do not need?

So far I like 1Password, what can I do to fix my Mac Book sync issue and how can I get a nuts and bolts understanding of what the web site account does and if it is for me? I don’t think I need it at this point. Lastly I am not sure if I bought the correct package for what I want.

Thanks,
Pat

P.S. I think I have been put on a trial membership?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2 (16C67)
Sync Type: Drop Box

Comments

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @PatMax !

Here is the rundown of what is going on: 1Password comes in different forms to give you flexibility on what works best for you. One of the options is a subscription service where your passwords are hosted on our servers, giving you some great perks like Pro features on your iPhone, seamless syncing between all your devices, and access on 1Password.com. The other option is a standalone license that you can purchase. Standalone licenses allow you to host your passwords using a cloud-based service like Dropbox or iCloud. In these cases, the items in your vault are not stored on 1Password's servers.

When you purchased 1Password on your iMac, you actually purchased a standalone license, which allows you to host your passwords in a service like Dropbox. Remember, this is different then taking advantage of the 1Password subscription service, as your vault items are not stored on our servers. However, when you went to the 1Password website and setup an account, you were actually signing up for our subscription service. This is why it appears that you were put on a trial membership. This membership should have no affect on our standalone license, so no need to worry about that. Basically, you ended up taking advantage of both of 1Password's forms, when you really only want to use one for the most ease-of-use.

On your iMac, you mentioned that you have a vault called "Personal." This is a vault that is created when signing up for the subscription service for 1Password. Somewhere along the journey of you setting up 1Password on all of your devices, you must have signed into your subscription account on your iMac which automatically added the vault to your 1Password app. Your Primary vault is the default vault where items are stored on 1Password when the user is taking advantage of a standalone license, whereas the Personal vault usually means that the user is taking advantage of the subscription service.

Therefore, the best course of action to get all of your accounts synced up would be to either continue to use the subscription service and sign into your subscription account on all of your devices, or setup Dropbox (or a different cloud provider) on your iMac where you have the standalone license activated and sign into Dropbox on the 1Password app on all of your other devices.

Just as a little extra note, I would personally recommend using the subscription service, as it allows for the easiest syncing across all of your devices. Also, you get the Pro features on your iPhone!

As always, please feel free to ask if I can be of any further assistance!

• ox4dboy
    ox4dboy
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem. For existing users, when you set up 1Password on a new Mac, you will probably do what I did and (accidentally) sign up for the 1Password account, because it makes sense that you would think that you had an "Account." After you set up an 'Account,' nothing seems right and it is IMPOSSIBLE to sync your old data to your new Mac. So, if you are an existing user, avoid the account option at first, maybe forever?

IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY CREATED A 1PASSWORD ACCOUNT
    1. Open 1Password
    2. Go to 1Password (menu) > Preferences > Accounts
    3. Sign out
    4. That brings you back to a new 1Password screen
    5. Click to Find your Vault, which is either on Dropbox or iCloud
    6. It's like magic, now everything works and everything will begin to sync

The most confusing part about this is, that if you accidentally choose the 1Password 'Account' option, there is no Sync tab in the Preferences window. If 1Password is reading this, consider adding the "Sync" tab back, and include messaging on that tab to let people know what to do if they want to "Sync" via different methods.

• ox4dboy
    ox4dboy
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@brianlowenthal your advice is not valid, unless we are missing something.

You said:
    Just as a little extra note, I would personally recommend using the subscription service, as it allows for the easiest syncing across all of your devices.

The problem is, that if we had 1Password set up to sync via Dropbox on an old Mac, and then choose the "subscription service" on a new Mac (as you mention above), there is no way to get the data from our old Mac into the new 1Password install on a new Mac.

I have found that, once I set up 1Password via Dropbox sync, I can then go to 1Password > Preferences > Account and sign back into the Account I accidentally created. From here, it is likely possible to migrate from Dropbox to a 1Password Account to sync my data.

Personally, I'd rather sync via 1Password servers since Dropbox has been hacked a number of times.

NOTE IF you want to know if your Dropbox data has been accessed by hackers, check your account here https://haveibeenpwned.com

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ox4dboy Apologies for any confusion that this caused.

The way to do this would be to install 1Password on your new Mac and setup the Dropbox sync on there. This way, your data gets transferred onto your new computer.

From here, you can sign up for a 1Password account and sync the data onto there, as you just downloaded the Dropbox data onto your new computer. You find instructions on how to do this within these knowledgebase articles:

So in short, you will want to initially sync with your Dropbox data, sign into your 1Password account, and then move the Dropbox data over to 1Password.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask if you would like any additional details and/or instructions!

• ox4dboy
    ox4dboy
    Community Member
    Options

@brianlowenthal thank you. Yes, this is exactly right:

So in short, you will want to initially sync with your Dropbox data, sign into your 1Password account, and then move the Dropbox data over to 1Password.

If you can, you should edit your first post, or delete it, so people don't end up going down the same frustrating path. The App Designers really should address this during on boarding.

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ox4dboy I'm glad I was able to help!

I will definitely pass this feedback along to the team!

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions!

• ox4dboy
    ox4dboy
    Community Member
    Options

Support needs to be brought up to speed too. I can see in the forums that a lot of people are having the same problem. I got zero response from Support on the matter… and I am not alone.

• @ox4dboy Well I appreciate you posting about it. The forum is a great place for us to help people out since those answers are discoverable by everyone out there. It seems like we've gotten back to you... am I missing something?

• PatMax
    PatMax
    Community Member
    Options

In your response at 12:36AM on 12/13/16 you pretty much laid out what I suspected. You also pointed out that I need to decide between the standalone license I purchased or your recommendation of the subscription service. For this you site ease of syncing – can you elaborate, maybe some comparisons. You also sited pro features for an iPhone, I have not seen this described on your site?

Again, can you tell me what a standalone license entitles me to or respond with a link that will direct me to that information and how it compares to the subscription?

A separate question; I thought that the “Master Password” was only kept on my devices that even 1Password didn’t know what it is. If this is so, then why was I directed to use this same password when I was steered into setting up an “Account” online. Doesn’t this mean that my password is now on your system?

Now back to my original issue;
    If you come up with a compelling argument for me to go with a subscription how would that work, I have already spent $65, and more time than I would prefer?

Lastly if as I suspect I decide to stay with the standalone license, how do I;
    1, get the subscription account removed from my MacBook?
    2, add the standalone app I purchased to my MacBook. Would I add it via the App Store Purchased tab from my MacBook?
    3, Close the free trial subscription account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In your response at 12:36AM on 12/13/16 you pretty much laid out what I suspected. You also pointed out that I need to decide between the standalone license I purchased or your recommendation of the subscription service. For this you site ease of syncing – can you elaborate, maybe some comparisons.

@PatMax: There simply is no comparison: with a 1Password.com Account you just login to your account to authorize a device and access your data — there is no sync configuration. :sunglasses:

You also sited pro features for an iPhone, I have not seen this described on your site?

Yup! While you can read some information about it in the app itself (1Password Settings > Pro Features), we also have a knowledgbase article that goes into more detail...and we're happy to answer any specific questions you have!

Again, can you tell me what a standalone license entitles me to or respond with a link that will direct me to that information and how it compares to the subscription?

You can read a pretty exhaustive comparison in this forum announcement, but the short version is that a license is a one-time purchase for a single version of a single app, whereas as subscription is recurring and includes access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether.

A separate question; I thought that the “Master Password” was only kept on my devices that even 1Password didn’t know what it is. If this is so, then why was I directed to use this same password when I was steered into setting up an “Account” online. Doesn’t this mean that my password is now on your system?

Nope! When you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password.com, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally, your Master Password is only known by you, and neither is ever transmitted, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have!

Now back to my original issue;
    If you come up with a compelling argument for me to go with a subscription how would that work, I have already spent $65, and more time than I would prefer?

I'd rather avoid an argument. ;)

If a license is a better fit for you, then you're can stick with that. It will never expire, and you're free to use the app as you always have with supported hardware/software. There are some great benefits to a 1Password subscription though, so if you'd prefer that, just shoot us an email with a copy of your Mac App Store receipt at support@1password.com and we'll see what we can do to help.

Lastly if as I suspect I decide to stay with the standalone license, how do I;
    1, get the subscription account removed from my MacBook?

Go to 1Password Preferences > Accounts, and Sign Out.

2, add the standalone app I purchased to my MacBook. Would I add it via the App Store Purchased tab from my MacBook?

Yep! Just download it there using the Apple ID used to purchase it, and it won't cost you anything extra.

3, Close the free trial subscription account?

Login to your profile page and click "Permanently Delete Account" at the bottom, and you'll be good to go. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• jrosetex
    jrosetex
    Community Member
    Options

Like PatMax, I recently purchased 1PW v.6.52 - Password Manager and Secure Wallet from the Apple App store. In researching this product on the AgileBits web site, I failed to scroll all the way to the bottom of the Pricing screen where the one-time license option was mentioned, or should I say "hidden?" As a result, I concluded that the only option offered by AgileBits was the Subscription Plan. Conversely, the App store only offered the one-time license plan. Assuming, logically (but somewhat naively) that the two options were "feature equal" and that my preference has always been to buy from the App store, I ended up with the one-time license. As I worked my way through the very confusing installation/start-up process I was prompted to open an account, which I did, again, assuming that this was just part of the installation process. But it turns out, I think, that in doing so I was signing up for the Family Option subscription plan. Had I known this before making my purchase decision I would not have purchased the one-time license (Apple says is not eligible for a refund). Even though I am willing to chalk the $65 license fee up to experience, I still would like to know if, for all practical purposes, I have the subscription plan option and for $60 per year will get free upgrades, etc. Or do I have to junk my one-time license version and start over with the subscription plan version? This has been the most confusing software purchase I have ever made!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This has been the most confusing software purchase I have ever made!

@jrosetex: I wanted to start at the end, with this statement, because I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm really sorry about the confusion this has caused. It would be really nice in a lot of ways if we offered only a single option, and subscriptions really are the best for most people since they include all of the apps, simple sync, and easy sharing. But a lot of folks really prefer to purchase standalone licenses, so we really want to continue to offer those even if it does cause confusion. Again, I apologize that this decision has caused you some headaches. :(

Like PatMax, I recently purchased 1PW v.6.52 - Password Manager and Secure Wallet from the Apple App store. In researching this product on the AgileBits web site, I failed to scroll all the way to the bottom of the Pricing screen where the one-time license option was mentioned, or should I say "hidden?" As a result, I concluded that the only option offered by AgileBits was the Subscription Plan. Conversely, the App store only offered the one-time license plan. Assuming, logically (but somewhat naively) that the two options were "feature equal" and that my preference has always been to buy from the App store, I ended up with the one-time license. As I worked my way through the very confusing installation/start-up process I was prompted to open an account, which I did, again, assuming that this was just part of the installation process. But it turns out, I think, that in doing so I was signing up for the Family Option subscription plan. Had I known this before making my purchase decision I would not have purchased the one-time license (Apple says is not eligible for a refund). Even though I am willing to chalk the $65 license fee up to experience, I still would like to know if, for all practical purposes, I have the subscription plan option and for $60 per year will get free upgrades, etc. Or do I have to junk my one-time license version and start over with the subscription plan version?

Apple has some pretty opaque refund policies, but I have heard that they can/will provide refunds fairly easily for purchases within 30 days. However, that may also be a confusing and time-consuming process, and if there's anything we can do to help more easily and quickly, we'd very much like to. Just shoot us an email with a copy of your receipt to support+licenses@agilebits.com and let us know if you'd prefer the AgileBits Store license instead or a subscription, and we'll see what we can do for you. And if you respond here with the Support ID you receive, we'll be able to track it down faster as well. Please, please don't "chalk the $65 license fee up to experience". I'm sure there's a better solution. :chuffed:

• PatMax
    PatMax
    Community Member
    Options

High again,

I am not sure of the protocol, I initiated this query and am not sure if I should close it somehow, now that my issue is resolved.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's pretty casual. Glad to hear that you got everything sorted out. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else. Have a happy new year! :)

• cmata37
    cmata37
    Community Member
    Options

I had a similar issue. I have had 1password on my iphone for years and have always loved it. Recently, I went to download it for my laptop and was taken through the process of creating an account. I thought I was signing into my existing account until I realized my passwords and vaults weren't syncing and I saw that there was a difference in my vaults - one being accessible from multiple devices and one that was just on my iPhone.

I guess I got confused and thought that 1password had changed it's model somewhat and that I needed to keep the account but hadn't seen anything about pricing yet at this point. However, when I got the email that my trial had ended and my vaults were locked, I had to pay a subscription fee to unlock it. Now, I love 1password and didn't want to lose it so I paid the yearly subscription fee and then after breathing a sigh of relief (because I had full access to my account again), I then found the pricing info for 1password accounts and realized that I could have kept using my standalone license that I had without paying anything extra. I don't really have need for a subscription account at this time and was happy with the way I had been using my 1password previously.

Is there any way to get my subscription refunded/ended and go back to using my standalone license? There just isn't enough enticement in the subscription model that makes me want to use it and pay a yearly fee when I was getting what I needed out of 1password with my license.

• Jacob
    edited January 2017
    Options

@cmata37 No problem, we'd be happy to help you out with that. Could you send us an email at support@1password.com and link your forum post in it? Post back here with the Support ID we send you so we can connect the two, and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible. :)

• cmata37
    cmata37
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! My support ID is #DXG-56375-529.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cmata37 Thanks! I found your email and will reply right away.

This discussion has been closed.