When I manually type credentials to a website and get them wrong, 1password doesn't help

Options

Here's the scenario - I've previously saved login credentials on 1password for a website. These credentials are current and correct. When I browse to the website and manually enter the credentials incorrectly, 1password pops up a "Save Login" box with 2 options.

1 - Create New
2 - Update Existing

Why does it not have an option to "3 Enter correct credentials" - as per those saved in 1password.

My only option is to close the 1password - save login box, then manually open 1password, search for the website and select enter credentials.

Maybe I'm missing something?

I know that security best practice is that every login should be a long unique password, so I shouldn't ever try to manually enter them, but living in a real world with logins to websites that I have no concern with security - 1password should say "Hey, I've got different credentials to the ones you've entered - want to try them? "

Thanks Jason

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:save login

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kinsja,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! If I understand, it sounds like you sign in to websites by either manually typing your username/password, or by copying/pasting them from 1Password. Is there a reason you're doing that instead of having the 1Password extension fill those fields for you? If you already have a Login item saved in 1Password for a certain website, just click the 1Password extension icon in your browser and choose that Login - 1Password will fill your username and password and sign you in.

We explain more about how to use 1Password to fill your login credentials here: Use the browser extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions about that. Cheers! :)

• kinsja
    kinsja
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG, thanks for getting back to me. The majority of the time I always use 1password as you're suggesting either from the desktop widget or browser extension, however sometimes I just type it manually without referring to 1password at all - these are generally for older ones that I've forgotten that I have in 1password, so don't bother to try 1password first. When I manually type the password and hit enter it triggers the 1password to pop up and offer to update the saved version with the "new" one I've just typed. The "new" password is actually an incorrect (or old) password. My frustration is that website rejects my password and I then also need to close the 1password update password window because it doesn't allow me to fill in the 1password saved password.

So, my suggestion is that when the "create new / update password" window is triggered - it should also have a 3rd option that says "fill saved password"

Does this make sense?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kinsja,

I can see where you're coming from but I don't see 1Password implementing this. Each request has to be weighed up over many factors. Of these factors two important ones are; how many people are affected/who does the solution help and is there any potential for confusing the average user with this change. Sometimes there is a lot to be said about trying to keep the interface as simple as possible and I would be concerned that this third option could muddy the waters.

While maybe not as streamlined as you would like to see, if you are more a keyboard user than a mouse user then it might be worth knowing that the save window can be dismissed with the esc key and then you can fill using the normal keyboard shortcut ⌘\.

Maybe I'm totally misjudging the user base and scores of people say this is a great idea. If they do it would be seriously considered but I suspect this has a very small number of users that would see use in it and as I say, I would be worried about any confusion it could potentially cause.

This discussion has been closed.