Problems getting 1Password onto new laptop

Options
selinalee
selinalee
Community Member

This is my rant to AgileBit. 1password is suppose to make life easier, not harder. I just spend the last plus hour getting the software working on my new laptop. I purchased a regular license in January, and all the instructions were leading me into a black hole of different web pages and instructions for the new subscription system. I had purchased a regular license in January. It wasn't until I got to this forum that I realize AgileBit had changed their Business license model. Why isn't there a simple page explaining what I need to do to get my 1password6 working on a new computer. Why lead me to search for a key I didn't have? Why lead me to create an account I don't have a license for? Why send me email saying I don't have a 1Password account under my email and then say if I have a license, click this link, which send me to a FAQ that has links that sends me to another page, and then another page, and another page that still doesn't fix my license problem. This has been a terrible waste of time and I am considering moving to another system. I kept clicking on various links before I finally found the one link that send me the correct email with my licensing link. Don't you know the original email with my license link can't on the new laptop. Why are you hiding the license key and requiring an internet connection link to recover my license. I'm hating your new business model.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: my computers

Comments

• mirsky
    mirsky
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Totally agree. I have a stand-alone license and I'm trying to install 1Password on a second computer too and I can't figure it out.

I bought 1Password in 2013 for $25 and Agile Bits has kindly provided free updates for the last 3 years.

However, a new version of a stand-alone version of 1Password now costs $65! For new users at that price, Agile Bits's website should provide more clear instructions on using/downloading the stand-alone version of the app. I want to download the latest stand-alone version to a second Mac but the Agile Bits download link apparently is only for the subscription version!

I use Dropbox with 1Password for Mac and iOS and it works just fine. I have no interest in the subscription model that Agile Bits is pushing and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

• Hi @selinalee! I'm sorry for the confusion getting 1Password set up on your new computer. We're hoping to make some improvements to the upcoming versions of 1Password so it will help you get started quickly with a license or account. I'm glad you got things sorted out on your side, and I hope this clears things up going forward. For anyone else who happens upon this thread, you can request your license here anytime: https://support.1password.com/trial-expired#add-your-license

You can also search "license" in our knowledge base and that article will be the first result. :)

Why are you hiding the license key and requiring an internet connection link to recover my license.

If you don't have your license on your new computer, the only way to retrieve it would be from the server. You're welcome to save the license file somewhere for the future if you'd like. 1Password automatically adds it to your vault so when you sync your data on a new device it is available there. It has definitely been a challenge to juxtapose licenses and accounts — those with accounts didn't understand why they had to buy a license, and those with licenses didn't understand why they don't have an account. We're trying our best to improve it.

You're both welcome to continue using 1Password as you always have. Your licenses are for the current version of 1Password, so you're all set.

This discussion has been closed.