How to Enable Browser-Plugins while using the online/subscription version of 1Password

I'm using the online-subscription version of 1Password so that I can easily access it from numerous machines simultaneously without having to install local data. Is there a way for any of the browser plugins to work while using the online version, without having a local database stored on the machine using Dropbox or some other method?

I work as a contractor and see machines that I work on come and go all the time. Some companies disable the installation and/or background sync of Dropbox, so installing Dropbox to sync the 1Password folder is not an option. Even though the information synced to my User/Profile may be encrypted, any "Admin" user could get access to my data through the network using 'Windows Explorer' whenever they wanted to. If I were terminated from a contract where I used a company-provided laptop, I wouldn't want anyone who felt like it to be able to access my data after I turned the laptop back in. I know there may be several opinions on the encrypted-storage methods of 1Password data, but I am more interested in hearing about a solution to my issue. To clarify again, what I am hoping for is a browser-plugin that can prompt to store/auto-fill data while working/browsing without having to have 1Password 3 or 1Password 4 (a local application) installed.

1Password Version: Online/Subscription Version
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Online/Subscription Version

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @dp4ine,

For the moment the extension does require the application and it will likely do so for some time to come. Our 1Password accounts are still pretty new, introduced properly just this year and so it made sense to make use of all of the mature code we had in place. The extension only need to communicate locally because our application was only local and it also doesn't have to perform any of the processing related to analysis of the page as that happens inside the 1Password application. It's also the role of the application to handle the 1Password mini menu as the extension doesn't have a UI (User Interface) of its own.

So while some of what the current extension does wouldn't need to change, an extension that didn't require the application would require a UI, the ability to log into the server and code to understand filling. The trouble here is I believe this would have quite an impact on the footprint of the extension as well as a non-trivial amount of development time.

That isn't to say there may not be merit to what you would like to see, just that it isn't an aim of ours just now. I apologise that I don't have something more to what you were hoping for right now.

This discussion has been closed.