Can't migrate from 3.7.2 to new version, both on iPhone 6.

Options
jcweiss
jcweiss
Community Member

I've been using 3.7.2 for a while on an iPhone 6, now running iOS 10.2, but it's finally failing on a regular basis. Entering the master password to access a record causes the app to crash. I've downloaded the new version to my phone, and read the instructions for migration, but don't get the "Use without an account" option on the first screen I see. Instead, I'm asked if I've used 1Password before, and by what mode. This might be because I had a new version loaded on my phone previously, but never completed a migration? (I deleted the app and reinstalled it to see if that would help, but it didn't.)

1Password Version: 3.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:Help! Can't migrate from 3.7.2 on iPhone to new version. Don't get Use w/out account on 1st screen

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jcweiss: Is this what you're seeing?

I think what you're looking for is down under the heading "Have you used 1Password before?" Where do you have your data currently? We'll get this sorted out. :)

• jcweiss
    jcweiss
    Community Member
    Options

That is what I'm seeing. I've tried syncing with iCloud and Dropbox but neither did anything, so I'm assuming the data aren't backed up to either. I did export a .1ptbackup file, but don't know what I can do with it!

• Ben
    Options

@jcweiss,

In that case these instructions should help:

How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

The page should automatically scroll to "Step 2: Import into the current version of 1Password" -- if it does not, please scroll and start there. It is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Please let us know how it turns out!

Ben

• @jcweiss You should be seeing an option below "WLAN Sync" titled, "Import for 1Password 3". Is that not the case? If not it means your .1ptbackup file didn't make it over to 1Password 6. @ben's instructions above should help you out there if that's the case.

• jcweiss
    jcweiss
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response Ben -- unfortunately the link to the upgrade instruction page you provided isn't working - I get a Page Not Found.

MrRooni -- the welcome screen I'm seeing does not have the "Import for 1Password 3" option below the "WLAN Server" option (that's the last one in the list).

Here's another interesting problem. I hadn't previously set up the 1Password3 app to sync with Dropbox, so I thought I should try that and see if they'll talk to each other. Unfortunately, the 1Password app won't recognize my Dropbox password. And just to be sure I was entering the right password, I set a new one and entered that one -- no dice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your response Ben -- unfortunately the link to the upgrade instruction page you provided isn't working - I get a Page Not Found.

@jcweiss: I'm really sorry for the trouble there. It appears that some of our documentation has been relocated since Ben replied. Here's the link to its new home:

How to upgrade from 1Password 3 on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

MrRooni -- the welcome screen I'm seeing does not have the "Import for 1Password 3" option below the "WLAN Server" option (that's the last one in the list).

It sounds like you may need to update 1Password. Please do that before proceeding.

Here's another interesting problem. I hadn't previously set up the 1Password3 app to sync with Dropbox, so I thought I should try that and see if they'll talk to each other. Unfortunately, the 1Password app won't recognize my Dropbox password. And just to be sure I was entering the right password, I set a new one and entered that one -- no dice.

Sorry for the confusion. 1Password 3 was discontinued years ago, and Dropbox also long ago discontinued support for the frameworks 1Password 3 used to connect to the service. There's nothing wrong with your Dropbox account; Dropbox is simply rejecting the connection.

I think that updating and then following the instructions in the guide linked above should get you up and running though. Let me know how it turns out!

• jcweiss
    jcweiss
    Community Member
    Options

Success! Thanks very much for your help! Happy holidays!

John

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! And again, I'm sorry for the mixup. I'm glad to hear that you've gotten it sorted out. Happy holidays to you too! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.