To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I think I need to migrate from non-account-1Password to 1Password-Account.

AmyLau
AmyLau
Community Member

I have been happily using 1Password for several years using DropBox, Mac, and iOS; I love the product. Last week I tried to help my sister start using 1Password, and at that time I discovered that one of my required features (fuss-free browser access from any device) was no longer available using the old 1Password product. I've had one experience where all of my possessions were stolen while overseas and having the ability to access my 1Password information using a browser was essential.

I have spent far too much time trying to sort through the documentation I've found on the 1password website. Before I start making any changes I want to confirm my understanding and ask a couple questions.

I believe that "1Password-Account" is a different product from "non-account-1Password" (or whatever you call it) that I'm currently using. In the "1Password-Account" product my data is hosted on your server, whereas in the non-account-1Password product the data is hosted by me (in my case via Dropbox). In the non-account product, my data is available on my Mac and iPhone even when I am offline; is that true for the 1Password Account product also?

I haven't been able to figure out if one can start using non-account-1Password today, or if that product is only grandfathered for people who already had it. This was very confusing when I tried to help my sister start. The non-account product would be a sufficient solution for her needs, but it does not appear on the "Find the 1Password that's right for you" page. Is non-account-1Password still available to new users?

As I understand it, the only solution for fuss-free browser access is to subscribe to a 1Password-account (I don't want to carry a thumb drive or host a file on my own server or fuss with browser settings). I am only one person, so I believe I should start a 1Password account for $2.99 per month billed annually. I'm sad that the money I already spent to purchase the apps is now lost, but I'll eat that cost and proceed. Am I correct that this is the ONLY solution given my requirement? Please also confirm that 1Password-Account for $2.99 per month would meet my needs and that I would not need to upgrade to the $4.99 per month plan in order to get fuss-free web access to my data?

I have read the article titled "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" but it doesn't include enough information for me to have confidence to move forward. If I follow the instructions to use my iOS app to move my existing non-account vault to a 1Password-account (which I believe is hosted on 1Password servers), is the data that is currently stored in Dropbox removed or is my data in Dropbox now a duplicate of the data in my account, with the Dropbox data now being static and over time becoming out of sync with the data stored in my account? in my iOS app do I need to go to Settings->Vaults and change something about the way the Primary vault is set up to use Dropbox?

After I have used my iOS app to transfer my data as per the instructions in "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" what do I need to do in my desktop app to use the Account data hosted on your servers instead of the data I have stored in Dropbox? The instructions for setting up the Mac app in the aforementioned article make no sense because my app does not have an "Accounts" icon under Preferences. Perhaps that is because I'm using 1Password 4.4.3, which is a limitation because I'm not able to upgrade my Mac beyond version 10.9.5 at this time. Is there a Mac system requirement for using 1Password Mac app to access 1Password Account data?

I apologize for being so confused. I fear that I will start down this path, transfer my existing vault to 1Password-Account, then be unable to use 1Password on my Mac because I am unable to update the 1Password Mac app to the latest version, then be unable to transfer my data back to my old solution using dropbox. So I would be in a screwed up situation which could take me another day to unwind.

I appreciate your assistance.

1Password Version: Mac 4.4.3, iOS 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx 10.9.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AmyLau,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

In the non-account product, my data is available on my Mac and iPhone even when I am offline; is that true for the 1Password Account product also?

Yep. You can access your 1Password data even when you are offline.

Is non-account-1Password still available to new users?

Standalone 1Password licenses are still available, but they are lacking quite a bit. Only if you have a 1Password account subscription do you get all the following:

• All app updates (including major upgrades) are included. No matter which plan you choose, you'll get the latest versions of all the 1Password apps:

• Access your data even when you're offline.
      • Pro features are included on mobile devices.
      • Future upgrades are included for free.
    • Share and sync without a third-party sync service. With a 1Password account, there's no complicated sync setup. Simply sign in to your account on a new device, and you're ready to go.

• Restore previous versions of items. If you accidentally changed or deleted an item, you can restore it.
    • Back up your data without lifting a finger. If your device is lost or damaged, sign in to your account on a new device. All your passwords and items will be there.
    • View and edit your data on 1Password.com. You’ll also have online access to your data even if you're away from your main devices.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model. The security of your 1Password accounts is fortified by an Account Key. The Master Password alone is not enough to decrypt your data.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can view and export your data.

You can invite people to your account at any time, and upgrade it to a family or team plan. Share with your spouse at home or teammates at work. If you have a family or team plan:

• New vaults automatically show up for family and team members. When you add people to a new vault, they don’t need to do anything to begin using it right away.
    • Set permissions for each person on each vault. Some people only need read-only access to a vault, for example.
    • Help family or team members if they forget their Master Passwords. We've always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family and team members.

Please also confirm that 1Password-Account for $2.99 per month would meet my needs and that I would not need to upgrade to the $4.99 per month plan in order to get fuss-free web access to my data?

If you only need access for yourself, you can get the individual plan. The family plan includes everything the individual plan includes but includes 4 others as well. If you wanted to be able to securely share with your sister, for example, you could both use the same family plan and save a little bit. (But you don't HAVE to share on a family plan, so maybe you just want to do it to save a little bit.) :)

All 1Password account subscriptions include web access to your data on 1Password.com as I mentioned in the list above.

is the data that is currently stored in Dropbox removed or is my data in Dropbox now a duplicate of the data in my account, with the Dropbox data now being static and over time becoming out of sync with the data stored in my account? in my iOS app do I need to go to Settings->Vaults and change something about the way the Primary vault is set up to use Dropbox?

Ah! So it sounds like you already have a 1Password account. In that case, you can change your plan at any time if you decide to switch to a family plan. Now, to answer your questions, you can delete your old vault (the one that is outside your 1Password account) if you are sure you don't need it. Make sure all your data is in your 1Password account first, though. If you need further assistance with this, let me know. I don't recommend doing it until you're sure you want to use a 1Password account, though. It's not irreversible, but there's no need to create additional work to move everything back if you decide later that you don't want a 1Password account.

what do I need to do in my desktop app to use the Account data hosted on your servers instead of the data I have stored in Dropbox?

I was going to say that all you need to do is sign in to your 1Password account on your Mac, but then I read further.

You listed your operating system as OS X Mavericks (10.9.5). Unfortunately, 1Password accounts are only available in the latest version of 1Password for Mac. And the latest version of 1Password requires OS X Yosemite (10.10) at the very minimum. It works even better in El Capitan or macOS Sierra.

If you upgrade, installing the latest version of 1Password is a breeze, then you can just sign in to your account.

If you are not able to upgrade your operating system, you may want to continue syncing with Dropbox. If you went with a 1Password account, you would only be able to view and edit your data on 1Password.com in your browser. You wouldn't have access to it in the 1Password for Mac app or in the 1Password browser extension (since it depends on the app).

I hope that helps you make an informed decision. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions, though!

This discussion has been closed.