To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Moving from Dropbox to 1password account

Options
thedon0922
thedon0922
Community Member

I have been using 1Password on all my devices/computers for several years with dropbox sync. In the most recent email/newsletter, there is mention of 1password accounts for that. Do I need to change the way I am syncing my passwords now? Or can I continue using dropbox sync.

Also, with that, is one option more secure than the other? I want to make sure that I am using the most secure method possible.

1Password Version: 4.6
Extension Version: 4.6
OS Version: osX, Win7, OS 10.12
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• bdee1
    bdee1
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to know how to move my existing vaults from dropbox to my 1Password account.

• Hey @thedon0922 and @bdee1! Accounts do have some great benefits over Dropbox. I just wrote about them in another post so give that a read if you're curious about the specifics.

Okay, got that read? I'd be happy to help you guys get started with an account if you like what you read. :) First, if you haven't already, sign up for an account. Once you have done that, save your Emergency Kit so you have a copy of your account details when you sign in to new devices. Now you can sign in to your account on your devices and migrate your data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once you migrate your data on one device, you don't need to do it again on your others. You can simply remove your old vault on those devices and start using your account for everything. Let us know how that goes! :)

• thedon0922
    thedon0922
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob thank you for that other piece about the 1pw account. Do I qualify for an account? I don't pay monthly -- I have a single user license that I purchased a few years ago. thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thedon0922,

You can sign up for a 1Password account subscription at any time. It's available to everyone — no qualifications required. :)

Just follow the steps Jacob linked to above to get started:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate ask.

• thedon0922
    thedon0922
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@khad qualify was the wrong word. It costs extra, so no thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@thedon0922,

No worries. :)

If you ever decide you want the benefits of a 1Password account, you can sign up whenever or just keep using 1Password as you have been.

Have a great week and happy holidays! :chuffed:

• thedon0922
    thedon0922
    Community Member
    Options

you the same

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks!

• rumplestiltskin
    rumplestiltskin
    Community Member
    Options

I recently moved up to the annual subscription ($2.99/mo) and installed the new apps on my Mac, PC, and Android phone. I -believe- I moved my vault over to the 1password system but how can I be sure of this?

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rumplestiltskin,

If you sign in to your account on 1Password.com (in your browser) it will only show vaults and items in your 1Password account. No local vaults (from before you created your 1Password account) will be shown. Do you see all your data there? If so, then you are all set. :)

This discussion has been closed.