To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1password account master password for existing app users

Options
jobe
jobe
Community Member

Hi there,

I have been using the 1password app on my Mac and devices for a couple of years now and on the whole been really pleased with it.

Recently I decided to sign up and create a 1password.com account with the view of trialling the individual account service. During the sign up process I was asked to create a Master Password,

Which I did. With the sign up completed I took a quick look around with the view of coming back to the site to migrate my data from the app.

Today I have tried to login to the website to find that I can't remember the master password. Not a problem because I'm confident that the 1password app has saved my login details right?? - wrong.......nothing.

I then decided to check through the support FAQ's etc to see if I can recover the password somehow, but to no avail except a great nugget of information buried in one of the support documents.

So my question is this: **Why isn't this information (or similar) shown during the sign-up process? **

I assumed (wrongly perhaps) that a new master password is required to be used for the website since it would be used in the end to migrate data from the app. I assumed that you were supposed to use different master passwords for security purposes.

Can this important information for existing app users not be added to the sign up screen so that other users are aware and don't fall into the same trap?

Finally, I have already sent a similar message to 1password support to get my online account deleted.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ho @jobe! Thanks for using 1Password; it means a lot. :) I'm sorry it wasn't more clear that you could use the same Master Password to create an account. I'll see that we get it updated in the signup flow itself so there's no confusion. I see your email and will get back to you about that in just a minute. We can keep the conversation going via email for now.

ref: IWT-69177-535, B5-1127

• matthewfrankel
    matthewfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

I 100% agree. @Jacob, I have an email to support for the same issue and I'm by my computer today if you (or someone else in the office) doesn't mind helping out. support ID is [#GCQ-53721-112]

• jobe
    jobe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob thanks for your reply and your assistance in closing my account.

Happy holidays!

• matthewfrankel
    matthewfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

WAIT! I remembered my PW. Haha. Please disregard the thread! And please close support ID is [#GCQ-53721-112]. Thanks.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jobe, on behalf of Jacob, you are quite welcome! Happy holidays to you as well! :)

@matthewfrankel, I'm glad you were able to remember it. That's fantastic news. It looks like Rudy closed your email support ticket, so all that's left is for you to enjoy the rest of your week and have a wonderful holiday season! :+1:
    ref: GCQ-53721-112

• matthewfrankel
    matthewfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @jobe!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:)

This discussion has been closed.