To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What is 1password.com? I never heard of Its?

Options

Dave tears spoke of using 1password.com instead of what I always have used...the app. Is there another option to use 1PW?
I'm confused

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What is 1password.com?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @three-cushion,

Thanks for taking the time to ask this great question. :)

If you've been using 1Password for years and haven't yet signed up for a subscription plan, you have a standalone license. That means you don't have an account on 1Password.com and don't get any of the benefits included with a subscription. But you have no obligation to start a subscription. You can continue to use your standalone license just like you always have. Nothing will change for you. :)

Why a 1Password subscription?

Earlier this year, we released two amazing new services: 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. Both rely on our new hosted platform to bring awesome new features that weren’t possible when 1Password was just a standalone app. We had countless folks asking for an individual plan, so they could also enjoy these benefits as well. Now you can sign up for the 1Password plan that suits you best: individual, family, or team.

It's easier to manage a single subscription than to keep track of separate licenses across different platforms and version upgrades. The subscription model also allows us to build in features and services that wouldn't be feasible in the standalone apps.

If you have a 1Password subscription:

• All app updates (including major upgrades) are included. No matter which plan you choose, you'll get the latest versions of all the 1Password apps:

• Access your data even when you're offline.
      • Pro features are included on mobile devices.
      • Future upgrades are included for free.
    • Share and sync without a third-party sync service. With a 1Password account, there's no complicated sync setup. Simply sign in to your account on a new device, and you're ready to go.

• Restore previous versions of items. If you accidentally changed or deleted an item, you can restore it.
    • Back up your data without lifting a finger. If your device is lost or damaged, sign in to your account on a new device. All your passwords and items will be there.
    • View and edit your data on 1Password.com. You’ll also have online access to your data even if you're away from your main devices.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model. The security of your 1Password accounts is fortified by an Account Key. The Master Password alone is not enough to decrypt your data.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can view and export your data.

You can invite people to your account at any time, and upgrade it to a family or team plan. Share with your spouse at home or teammates at work. If you have a family or team plan:

• New vaults automatically show up for family and team members. When you add people to a new vault, they don’t need to do anything to begin using it right away.
    • Set permissions for each person on each vault. Some people only need read-only access to a vault, for example.
    • Help family or team members if they forget their Master Passwords. We've always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family and team members.

What about standalone licenses?

We think the above benefits are pretty substantial. However, some folks prefer to purchase a standalone license. We totally get that. We continue to sell the 1Password apps without a subscription plan. We're even updating them with features and fixes that everyone benefits from — with or without a 1Password account.

If you purchase a 1Password standalone license instead of a subscription:

• Get updates for the version your purchased. For example, if you buy now, you’ll get all updates to 1Password 6 for Mac. Future versions might be a paid upgrade.
    • Pro features available on mobile devices as a separate purchase. Learn more about the Pro features on iOS and Android.
    • Sync your data yourself. You're in control of your own data. If you don't want a subscription, you can still sync without even using a cloud service like Dropbox or iCloud. No data leaves your own local network if you use the WLAN server to sync. Learn more about the different sync options.

Regardless of which option you choose, you’ll get the same helpful, one-on-one support from us. :)

I hope that helps you make an informed decision, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

WOW! I JUST now recognize what you did...WAY back is Feb! I recall the announcement... but did not see any value added for me.

Question: I am th sole user of my 3 devices...iMac, iPad iPhone... I have 1PW on ALL 3.
    What value would i achieve by changing to the subscrition format? Anything? No Teams, no Families... JUST ME.

Thanks in advance

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@three-cushion,

You'd get all of these benefits if you started a 1Password account subscription:

• All app updates (including major upgrades) are included. No matter which plan you choose, you'll get the latest versions of all the 1Password apps:

• Access your data even when you're offline.
      • Pro features are included on mobile devices.
      • Future upgrades are included for free.
    • Share and sync without a third-party sync service. With a 1Password account, there's no complicated sync setup. Simply sign in to your account on a new device, and you're ready to go.

• Restore previous versions of items. If you accidentally changed or deleted an item, you can restore it.
    • Back up your data without lifting a finger. If your device is lost or damaged, sign in to your account on a new device. All your passwords and items will be there.
    • View and edit your data on 1Password.com. You’ll also have online access to your data even if you're away from your main devices.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model. The security of your 1Password accounts is fortified by an Account Key. The Master Password alone is not enough to decrypt your data.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can view and export your data.

My favorite ones are all app updates and access to my data on 1Password.com. It's also a lot easier to set up on new devices. Just sign in to your account, and you're all set. This can come in handy whether you are forced to get a new device (after losing one) or just decide to treat yourself to the latest and greatest. :)

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

OK I have 3 devices. all with their own app. How easy is it to move over to the subscription base?
    And, what is the pricing different? I now have PRO on all 3 apps.
    How do i launch 1PW from the subscription service?

Does the Apple store EVER have any role in the maintenence of 1PW in the subscription mode?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK I have 3 devices. all with their own app. How easy is it to move over to the subscription base?

It's pretty simple.

1. Sign up for an account here: https://1password.com/sign-up/
    2. Then migrate to your new account on your Mac first: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/
    3. Then sign in to your new account on your other devices: https://support.1password.com/add-device/

You can see complete pricing details on that first link: https://1password.com/sign-up/

The apps will update themselves automatically just as usual. So you don't have to worry about that. :+1:

Let me know if you have any trouble, and, if so, which step you're stuck on. I'm happy to provide further assistance if I know where you are getting stuck.

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Thank you so much for your patience.

I am sorry to say, this is not for me. I like the separate apps, fixed price, and even with new licenses req'd from time to time.
    I am a 50 year veteren of computing systems. Subscriptions are a way for you to make the user pay for your operational maintinance.
    That is not what this industry is about. It is about service to customers...even if it is hard for you to manage,e.g.,separate apps across an array of platforms.

I want to keep my 3 apps on my 3 devices.

May I keep them?

If you see the need to ask for additional fees to keep them updated, OK
    If you drop the individual apps, i will find another supplier.

I love 1PW... this idea reminds me of MSFT and their messes. I use clones of MSFT Office b/c i will not pay a subscription fee to them either.

BUT...keep up the great work on your product...it is the best of its class.
    as long I can run the separate apps, i will remain your customers.

Jim b
    PS Just remembered. Devices get old... Apple stops support from time to time.
    I now have 2 iOS versions... one for newer iPhone and other for iPad. Apple will NOT update iOS 9.3.5 further on my version of iPad.
    Does 1PW have dificulty managing the app across different iOS versions?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@three-cushion,

I want to keep my 3 apps on my 3 devices.

May I keep them?

[...]

keep up the great work on your product...it is the best of its class.

That's totally fine. And thank for your kind words and encouragement! :)

I think there are huge benefits to a 1Password account for an individual (like the ones I mentioned above), but some of the biggest benefits come when you share with a family or team. So I can understand if you want to keep on using 1Password as you always have without an account.

Just to explain why 1Password accounts are a subscription service, there are so many fantastic things that are literally impossible with the standalone approach: secure sharing without sharing a vault's Master Password, managing others’ access to vaults, and a big one: account recovery without us at AgileBits ever knowing your Master Password. These things require a server architecture, and a server architecture has ongoing costs. If these aren't features you want or need, it wouldn't make sense to pay for them.

As I mentioned in my first post:

[S]ome folks prefer to purchase a standalone license. We totally get that. We continue to sell the 1Password apps without a subscription plan. We're even updating them with features and fixes that everyone benefits from — with or without a 1Password account.

And as for your old iPad running iOS 9, eventually you won't be able to get new versions of many apps — including 1Password. But you'll be able to run the current version since it only requires iOS 9.3. You can use it with local vaults as a standalone app (as you have been doing), or with a 1Password account (including a family or team if you ever decide to do that). :+1:

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Great! And thanks for idea...here is what I will consider: My iPad needs upgrading..as does my iMac. Former is stuck at iOS 9.3.5,,... Latter stuck at El Capitan... So when I change, at that time I'll consider subscription. Then I can dispense with Dropbox.....I only use that to sync 1PW!!
    Thanks again for your ideas
    Jim b

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's my pleasure to help, Jim. Have yourself a wonderful rest of your week and a fantastic holiday! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.