Is it possible to autofill 2-factor authentication codes using the iOS 1Password extension?

Options
mmerline
mmerline
Community Member

The iOS extension is easy to use to automatically fill in login passwords. Unfortunately, it seems like inputting 2-factor authentication codes requires the following steps:

1. Tap the Share icon.
  2. Tap the 1Password icon.
  3. Click the Information prompt next to the correct login entry.
  4. Scroll down to the 2-factor authentication panel.
  5. Click the current 2-factor code display, select Copy.
  6. Cancel out of share menu.
  7. Input cursor in site's 2-factor authentication code entry box.
  8. Paste.
  9. Submit.

Is it possible to just have 1Password fill the 2-factor code, like any other password, versus having to copy it, cancel out of the share menu, and manually paste it into the necessary field?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:fill 2-factor authentication on ios

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mmerline: No. It's certainly something we hope will be possible in the future, but these are all handled differently by websites so there's no simple way to do this reliably. And of course we spend most of our time on username/password filling since that benefits more users. But this is an area we're very much interested in finding a solution for as well. Until then copy and paste is the only way.

• peripatetic
    peripatetic
    Community Member
    Options

I understand why it's difficult to implement automatic 2-factor fill.

BUT, could you please ask developers who integrate 1 Password into their apps, to also integrate it into the 2-factor screen?

At the moment what happens is:

1. Open App
    2. Click on 1 password logo to launch mini 1 Password and get login/password for app or site
    3. login and password successfully filled in
    4. Move to 2FA page. No 1 password logo
    5. Push home button
    6. Launch 1 password
    7. 1 password is a different instance from the mini version, so does not know what password I was looking at. Scroll or search for the same login info I just found
    8. Copy the 2FA code
    9. Double-lick home to go bac kto the app
    10. Paste 2FA code
    11. Log-in

I don't mind copying and pasting the 2FA code, but it would be great if the app developers allowed me to get back into the mini 1-password instance that already showed the login details for that app in order to eliminate steps 5-7, and 9.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@peripatetic: That's an excellent point! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

In these situations, I usually pre-emptively copy the TOTP from the login before filling it using the 1Password iOS extension...but that is still a bit cumbersome, and requires foreknowledge that it will be needed immediately after filling. We'll see what we can do to make this better.

ref: OPI-3926

• theElvis
    theElvis
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

it would be awesome if you could create this feature / a ruleset for at the least the most common websites your clients use (like google, facebook, amazon, alexa top 1000 etc.) to create a better workflow (shouldn't be that difficult, especially with chrome extensions)

Same for passwords on multiple sites like the google login

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback @theElvis!

Ben

• o_orca
    o_orca
    Community Member
    Options

it would also be a great feature for the built in 1 Password Browser. Right now, you have to kill the session to go get the 2 FA code. Or remember to grab it before you start a login.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As perhaps one of the few people who really prefers 1Browser, I'd love that too. :)

This discussion has been closed.