PayPal or yearly normal priced app store subscription

edited December 2016 in Purchasing

**I know you have no plans to change it, but let me still mention my wish :) **

I don't have a credit card and don't need a credit card since all of the services which I use accept PayPal. I am currently using LastPass (the free version) which is absolutely enough for me since it offers exactly the same functions like 1Password but I was thinking about supporting such a great company which seems to be impossible - for a fair price.

I see you allow monthly subscriptions via the Apple app store which is cool but the price is just insane (sorry). Since I want to use 1Password for a year, I am comparing the yearly prices:

On your website you charge 35.88 Dollars if paid in advance. 35 bucks is an acceptable price, even though it's almost three times higher than LastPass (I know you hate such comparisons but hey, I am an end user so the price matters for me 8-)).

I thought of buying an iTunes card but was shocked when I saw your prices. 56.32 Dollars if I want to use 1Password one year. More than 20 dollars difference is a bit extreme, isn't it? (I converted EUR to USD so it's easier to understand)

I totally understand that PayPal is charging you guys a lot of money, but why don't you do it like other companies... if one wants to pay via PayPal.. let them and charge them PayPal's extra fee. I bet many are willing to do that OR offer a yearly subscription via Apple's app store for a normal price.

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@elvisisnotmyname: First of all, just because we don't currently have plans for PayPal doesn't mean it isn't something we'll continue to consider — and it's a big help to hear from folks like you about this, since otherwise we have no way of knowing it would benefit anyone. So, thank you! :)

However, I'm really sorry that you're stuck in a bit of an odd place. Just to clarify, purchasing using an iTunes subscription is the same price as purchasing through 1Password.com...but for the monthly renewal. We don't offer multiple options through the app itself because frankly it would be kind of a mess, and iTunes subscription options are fairly limited. So the annual plan would need to be purchased through 1Password.com...which of course is where you're running into the other issue, not offering PayPal as an option.

While it's probably asking a lot, I know that many folks have used prepaid credit cards, which can be purchased most places iTunes cards are available, at least here, and in my experience the "service charge" or whathaveyou (essentially the fee on top of the value of the card) is usually only a dollar. That's what I do for gifting myself. I appreciate that's not ideal, but it's at least something that might work for you. Let me know what you think.

• Hi Brenty, thanks a lot for your reply.

Just to clarify, purchasing using an iTunes subscription is the same price as purchasing through 1Password.com...but for the monthly renewal.

Apple charges me 4,49 Euro monthly, which is 4.69 USD. On your website you only charge 3.99 USD if paid monthly.

Really hope you will allow PayPal in the future since a credit card is unfortunately no alternative for me (yearly credit card fee even if it's prepaid + not anonymous in EU and also it would be just for 1Password...)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Apple charges me 4,49 Euro monthly, which is 4.69 USD. On your website you only charge 3.99 USD if paid monthly.

I'm thinking Apple is showing you the price after tax, and our website is showing you the price before tax. Our website cannot show you the amount including tax until you enter a credit card number, as it bases the tax rate on the location of origin of the credit card.

Really hope you will allow PayPal in the future

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@elvisisnotmyname: I think ben may be right, but you bring up a good point. I'm sorry for not being clearer. It's also important to take into account that we set the price in USD and that's the only currency we use ourselves, but with the App Store Apple does conversion for different currencies. It can certainly be a bit confusing. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.