How re-instate 1Password from iphone 4 to iphone 6s

sydman
sydman
Community Member

I lost my iPhone 4. It was backed up via iTunes. I purchased an iPhone 6s. Because of incompatibilities between an aged iPhone 4 and an aged iTunes version, iphone 6s was unable to restore backup. Hence I am restoring manually from scratch. I have made several abortive attempts so far. One mistake I may have made is that my original purchase was directly from AgileBits and I downloaded its replacement from Apple Store. That version wouldn't allow me in at all. I am now thoroughly confused and cannot find my way through the mire.

Please could someone tell me how to restore a working copy of 1Password to my new phone? I don't know what information to provide to facilitate you, so please ask me all the relevant questions.

Sydman

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.2
Sync Type: Was iTunes, now iCloud.

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

@sydman,

You may have confused 1Password for Mac and for iOS as 1Password for iOS, to the best of my knowledge, has never had been sold through the web (Agilebits Web Store). 1Password for Mac however has a Mac App Store version and a Agilebits Web Store version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sydman: Indeed, wkleem is right on. If you purchased 1Password for iOS, it would have to be through Apple's iOS App Store, as it just isn't possible for us to sell the iOS app directly from our own store. But that also means that you can simply open the App Store on your device and go to the (Updates >) Purchased section to install it again.

That at least gets you part of the way there, but the issue of your data is another matter entirely. Neither AgileBits nor Apple has access to it, so you'd need to sync it from another device, restore from a backup, or start over with a new vault. Where are you using 1Password currently?

• sydman
    sydman
    Community Member

Thank you both for that. It was basic 101 stuff, but I don't do it that often so forget in between times.
    I have re-downloaded my purchased IOS version, I have my email address confirmed by 1Password support and I have my account key which is supplied by 1Password. (I also have a license key too) I am still rejected from accessing my app because (it says) one of the three items is incorrect. Two have been supplied and confirmed by 1Password. the third, the password is the one I have always used and works perfectly well on my MacBookPro version. If I have read the various support pages correctly, if I cannot gain access to my existing account do I have to start again from scratch and open a new account?
    Thank you in advance for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sydman: Well, don't feel bad about it. Apple has at least 3 different stores (iOS, Mac, iTunes), so it's pretty confusing! :lol:

It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you subscribe to 1Password Families (or Teams), or signed up for an individual subscription plan. That’s the only way you’ll have an Account Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault. But if you don't have your 1Password data stored somewhere currently, the only option will be to start fresh. :(

• sydman
    sydman
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,
    I definitely have an individual license key. I don't know why I have an Account key because I have not (to my knowledge) signed up for a Families or Team account, unless it was because I have three 1Password apps. One on iPhone, one on Snow Leopard and one on Yosemite.
    I have all my 1Password data stored in the following places.
    1 1Password on MacbookPro 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
    2 1Password on MacBookPro Yosemite
    3 1Password has squirreling away backups automatically to DropBox ever since I first acquired 1Password in about 2009.

If I have to start from scratch can I use any of those and transfer it to my IOS 1Password?
    Rgds
    Sydman

• @sydman,

I think the best way for us to get an idea of where you're at and make a recommendation of how to move forward would be to get a diagnostic report from each of your devices.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

In your email(s) please include:

• a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/73627/
    • with your forum handle: sydman

so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

P.S. Please don't forget to post your Support ID(s) here!

• sydman
    sydman
    Community Member

Thank you Ben for your help so far, however I have run into a couple of problems with your suggestions.

1 The IOS utility requires me to open my 1Password app to use it and the original reason for me requesting advise was that I could not open my 1Password app.
    2 The utility for Mac does not work on my current system - 10.6.8.

However, things have changed since my initial request.

When I went to the app store and re-downloaded my original 1Password app (older version) it worked perfectly and allowed me access and all my data was there. (I did nothing personally to facilitate this other than download my original purchased copy.)

When I enter the older version it senses the newer version (which currently rejects me) and asks me if I would like to import all my data into the new version.

Logic tells me that this is the right thing to do and all will be well. However, just before I commence this procedure I thought I would confirm with you that this is the correct thing to do.

Regards
    Sydman

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sydman: Aha! Thanks for the update! It sounds like either the app was damaged before, or you had an older version (of the old version), so installing the latest version of the old app fresh from the App Store helped. At this point, the best thing to do would be to import the data into the new app when prompted. That should do the trick for you, but we're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.