2 users 1 mac 1 vault

Options
idmsguru
idmsguru
Community Member

I'm a current customer trying to set up 1 password on my in-laws mac. 2 users on the same machine, sharing a single password file. They don't need families.. no need to multiple vaults. One user has a iPhone and will be mobile. I downloaded the software and installed under one of the users. I then log into the other user's account and the software isn't installed. Based on what I've read in the posts, I tried the install on the other users account and it prompts me for the vault which I can't locate under the other user. How do I get this to work. The other posts haven't really been helpful. Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:2 users 1 mac 1 vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@idmsguru: Since you omitted some pretty important information from your post (OS, 1Password, and device versions involved) I'm honestly not sure. It sounds like you may be referring to a computer rather than a mobile device, but you've posted this in the iOS category of the forums so I'm a bit confused. If you're just trying to share the same vault between different users, the easiest way is 1Password.com. Otherwise you'll need to setup sync between them to use the same vault in multiple places. If you'll give me a better sense of what's going on, I can offer more specific instructions. Thanks in advance!

• idmsguru
    idmsguru
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry if I didn't leave sufficient info - Mac OS 10.12.2, 1Password 1.6. Basically, what do I need to do to have 2 separate user accounts on a single mac running 10.12.2 run the same software and access the same vault. Both users have administrative authority. The install under the first user account went fine. When I tried to access as the second user, it prompted me for the vault file.. I forgot the extensions it allowed. When I went to the first users home folder - I couldn't locate the file.

• Ben
    Options

@idmsguru,

If both users need access to all of the same information this could be accomplished with an individual 1Password account. Both users would sign in using the same credentials.

Otherwise we do not support accessing a single vault file from multiple user accounts on a computer.

Ben

• idmsguru
    idmsguru
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify - both users would sign into 1Password or the OS with the same credentials? (i.e. user2 would have to log into the mac as user1 to access the vault) Can the vault be moved to a shared file system?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@idmsguru: As Ben alluded, permissions will be an issue even with admin rights, since any given file can only be owned by a single user. I know folks have tried sharing a vault between user accounts in the past and it's caused a lot of headaches (to say the least). Therefore, it isn't something we recommend.

What Ben is suggesting is using a single 1Password.com Account, since you made it clear that you want to share all of the same 1Password data between both user accounts on the Mac. 1Password Families is a good option if you want to have your own personal data and only share specific vault, but it sounds like that's overkill for what you're trying to do. I will say though that isn't nice for each person to be able to choose their own Master Password.

Let us know what you think, and if there's anything we can do to help!

This discussion has been closed.