Using dropbox my passwords are no longer synching across all devices.

Options
robdube
robdube
Community Member

Using dropbox my passwords are no longer synching across all devices. Tried the troubleshooting listed in the forum and on your site with no luck. I use all Mac products.

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:not syncing across all devices

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@robdube: In that case it's very likely that your devices are all syncing with Dropbox...but with different vaults. What are the OS, 1Password, and device versions, and the path to the vault you're using in each case? We'll get to the bottom of this! :)

• robdube
    robdube
    Community Member
    Options

Mac is 10.12.2; 1Password is 6.5 not sure what the "path to vault" means, could you help me with that one?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robdube: Sure. For example, the path to one of my vaults is (Dropbox)/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain — and this can be found in your sync settings in 1Password for Mac Preferences. I hope this helps!

• robdube
    robdube
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brent - thanks for the assistance thus far! The path in use is RobDube/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@robdube: Are you seeing the same path on all of your Macs? That wasn't clear form your comments. If not, they won't be using the same data. Also, make sure that you have the latest version of Dropbox installed, and running, on each, or they will get out of sync, even if they're pointing at the same vault. Let me know what you find!

• robdube
    robdube
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brent - Yes, same path. My primary uses are on my MacBook Air and my iPhone7. Both have the latest versions of Dropbox. In Dropbox on my iPhone, under "Files," it shows two. One says ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" ("modified 4 years ago") and the other is a folder that says "1Password." In that folder is a sub-folder titled "1Password.agilekeychain." In that sub- sub folder is a html that says "1Password.html" ("modified 2 years ago"). There are three sub-sub folders that say "a," "config," and "data." Thoughts?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robdube,

Thank you for the additional details!

In Dropbox on my iPhone, under "Files," it shows two. One says ".ws.agile.1Password.settings" ("modified 4 years ago")...

That file was used by some older versions of 1Password in order to find the location of your sync file in Dropbox. It's not used by the latest versions, although it might still be created there for backwards compatibility. If you're only using newer versions of 1Password, feel free to delete that file if you want to (although it might be automatically re-created there at some point).

...the other is a folder that says "1Password." In that folder is a sub-folder titled "1Password.agilekeychain."

That's the sync file which you said 1Password is pointing to on both of your Macs (it's actually a special type of folder which looks like a single file on a Mac, but appears as a regular folder on other platforms). Make sure you don't modify any contents within that file/folder, as that could cause problems.

Please also make sure 1Password on your iPhone is syncing with that same file. To do that, open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service / Dropbox, and the name & path of the sync file in Dropbox will be shown underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox.

If your iPhone is syncing with the same file in the same location in Dropbox as your Mac(s), please try a quick test:

• On your MacBook Air, add a new Secure Note in 1Password and name it "Test from MacBook Air"
    • On your iPhone, add a new Secure Note in 1Password and name it "Test from iPhone"
    • If you're also having trouble syncing with other Macs or iOS devices, do the same thing on those devices (give the new Secure Notes unique names so you know where they were created).

Let your devices sync, then check each one to see if the test items show up. Which of the new items sync to which devices?

Thanks in advance! :)

• robdube
    robdube
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew - That was a great suggestion for the Secure Note test. They both synced up. I also did a log in test by setting up an a new login for "Test from MacBook Air" and "Test from iPhone." They also synced. Then, I changed each password to see if they would sync, which they did. Thank you for your assistance. I'll keep a close eye on the next time I change a real password to see if it syncs. If not, I'll be back in touch. Happy New Year and all the best!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robdube

I'm glad to hear that Drew's suggestions helped, I hope that 1Password behaves nicely for you from now, but if you notice any other issues either with syncing or with something else, we'll be here to help you out :chuffed:

I wish you a very happy new year! :love:

This discussion has been closed.