I consistently get a notification: "Problem Detected: Update Preferences"

sosomario
sosomario
Community Member

I am running macOS 10.12.1 using Dropbox as my sync mechanism. I get a macOS generated notification, at which point I open 1Password ➡️ Preferences. But nothing is indicated in the preferences what the problem might be. I looked in Console.app to under the 1Password.log file but nothing appears there either. How can I remove this notification? As far as I can tell, syncing still works.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:"Problem detected: Update Preferences" Notification

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Corbin W Allistair: Are you saying that you're repeatedly notified of a sync issue? Do you perhaps not have the proper permissions set for 1Password to access the vault?

Unfortunately it's impossible to say what the problem might be without more information. If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• sosomario
    sosomario
    Community Member

Unfortunately, it is not mechanically reproducible. That is, I can't do one thing and then see the notification pop-up. It just occurs now and then, but basically at least on a daily basis. I'll follow the instructions in that link andsend it to you guys. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

Gotcha. Please do. That may give us some idea of what's triggering the disconnect.

ref: LWA-19491-915

• binaryeric
    binaryeric
    Community Member

I have the exact same issue since upgrading to the lastest MAS version. Sync settings related to Dropbox seem to be the source of the issue. Can't get it corrected. Any changes made to sync settings don't appear to be retained.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @binaryeric,

Sorry that you've also been encountering the recurring "Problem Detected: Update Preferences" notification. If you follow instructions from brenty above and send us a diagnostics report it'll be easier for us to pinpoint where the trouble is and suggest how you can fix it. Even with the same symptom as Corbin reported, the cause and resolution may differ. Thanks!

• binaryeric
    binaryeric
    Community Member

I re-installed the Dropbox client on MacOS, reset the sync settings on 1P and it appears to have been solved. #odd

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @binaryeric,

I re-installed the Dropbox client on MacOS, reset the sync settings on 1P and it appears to have been solved. #odd

I noticed you posted this in another forum discussion, so I moved it to this thread where you originally described the problem. I'm happy to hear you were able to get the sync working correctly again! Thanks for following up to let us know.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. Happy New Year! :)

• sosomario
    sosomario
    Community Member

Hrm. Is there any update from what I emailed to you guys? Should I just follow what @binaryeric did? BTW, I CAN mechanically reproduce it now. When I'm in Safari and hot-key pop-up the 1P interface to login to a siste, it gives me that warning.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Corbin W Allistair: Yes, please! Send the diagnostics right after you do it, and let us know the exact steps. That should help us hone in on the issue. Just post the Support ID here and we'll take a look.

This discussion has been closed.