How to locally backup account vault?

khollister
khollister
Community Member

I recently moved to an account rather than the MAS version I was using. Got the contents moved over and all my computers/devices on the account - all good. However, I would like to independently backup my vault. Since I had disabled creating vaults outside of the account, all of the backup menu items and preferences disappeared. I re-enabled that, but I am now getting error messages when ever I (or 1password) try to create a backup. I am getting a notification with "ErrorDomain=NSCocoaErrorDomain C..."

And oddly, when I use the Show Files button in the backup preference pane, it points me to a 1Password 4 folder in ~/Library/Application Support.

Where is 1password caching the vault locally and how do I make sure it is backed up?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.2
Sync Type: account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And oddly, when I use the Show Files button in the backup preference pane, it points me to a 1Password 4 folder in ~/Library/Application Support.

@khollister: Yep! While it isn't necessary (or useful, really) since 1Password.com backups are done automatically on the server and the data is only cached locally, you can backup the local data in 1Password's support folder:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ (AgileBits Store version)

or

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/ (Mac App Store version)

But if you'd like a usable fallback option, just enable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced, and copy your data to a local vault, which can be sync'd to a folder of your choosing, which makes it much easier to include in a backup routine, and of course any recent version of 1Password will be able to use that vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.