[Improvement request] Use faded text that automatically clears instead of pre-filling form fields

Macorin
Macorin
Community Member
edited December 2016 in iOS

Each time I receive the email blog about the status (and subsequent improvements) to 1Password, I get really excited. Those blog type emails are filled with such excitement and enthusiasm. Then I open the latest version of 1Password and realize it's still the same old experience.

I just don't get why the whole creation process of everything except logins is designed to be so awkward. Even logins have an awkwardness to them as well. I know 1Password was initially built on the foundation of a password manager, but since it is now touted as a data vault, providing many more options than just password management, when is it going to be brought up to date from a user workflow experience?

Let's create an example. Create any number of new entries (aside from login. Let's create a note. For the sake of argument, let's start by going into the secure notes section and then tapping the plus button. This opens up a new secure note template with the title ore-filled with, "Secure Note." (I'm going by memory here since I'm in the forums on my phone and can't check my steps). In any case, the mere fact that the new entry gets created with the title pre-filled is a problem. It's an obvious error or oversight of normal user behavior. Who keeps all of their secure notes with that title? I'd be willing to wager nobody does. Okay, so instead of the field being empty and the prompt ready for the user to start typing, we first have to delete it. Now as annoying as it is to have to delete every new entry title created, we can't even delete with one tap because there is no (x) button. We have to backspace through it all. Then, we we've deleted it, the formatting for capitalization is automatically turned off (another oversight on the details, especially considering that most people capitalize titles. Even the annoying defaults are capitalized.

Now, as annoying as all of this is, it goes deeper because the same things happen for each field we create. Create a new section with a new text field and the title defaults to, "Text". Create a password field and it defaults to, "Password". Now the password field isn't awful because most people would call that field, "password", but it capitalizes the word, which is inevitable different than the capitalization on the other fields. Meaning, nobody keeps the title, "Text" for new text fields, so I might rename it, "account #". The thing is, when you backspace to delete "Text" the capitalization is turned off so you type "account #" with lower case. I'm fine with lower case on section titles, but there's just horrible extra work and lack of consistency.

Brag all you want in blogs about families and/or security updates. 1Password works. I'm grateful for that. However, the user experience is still awful in many respects and at some point, it would be nice to see it fixed once and for all.

I'd be happy to share more little nuisances, but not if there's no interest, nor intent on improving them.

Thanks and happy new year.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Macorin: Certainly we appreciate the feedback! I'm not sure what you're proposing exactly, but I hear you that clearing out the placeholder text can be tedious. Ultimately you may be a power user, but we want it to be clear to anyone what each field is for. And an item without a name is just confusing. There's probably a better way, and plenty of room for improvement though, so I'd be interested to hear how you'd like item creation streamlined. Thanks in advance! :)

• Macorin
    Macorin
    Community Member

@brenty: I don't consider what I'm describing as a power user feature request. We are talking about basic functionality as it relates to workflow. Based on what you're arguing, I could just as easily argue that users would find it equally confusing to know to backspace and then type their own title. Besides, apps like 1Password would seem (by their very nature) to be used by users with a slightly raised computing IQ.

That said, if it really comes down to not confusing people, I could list a few examples of how to avoid this, while still perfecting the workflow. The best option IMHO, would be to express what is meant to be typed into a field by showing a faded set of text in the space which provides an example. For instance, if you were creating a new secure note, the title field would be ready for you to start typing with faded text in it saying for example, "Note title". Then, when the user starts typing, the faded text immediately disappears. I've seen this technique used in many apps I use, most notably, Fantastical. I will provide screenshots to show you an example:

• I like that suggestion. :) I'd be happy to pass it along to our development team for their consideration.

Ben

ref: OPI-3894

This discussion has been closed.