Why is the 1Password extension loading so slowly?

Options
mmcwatters
mmcwatters
Community Member

For the past few months, on two Macs (home and work), the 1Password extension takes forever to launch in Safari. This usually happens after I wake the computer from sleep, or if I haven't used 1Password for a few hours or a day. But if I've used it recently, the problem doesn't happen as often.

Essentially, when I come to a login form I want to fill in, I click on the 1Password extension (either in the Mac's menu bar, or on the browser extension itself). The 1P app appears, I enter the master password, and then it just hangs—sometimes beachballs, for anywhere up to 2 minutes. There's no way to get it past this hangup. It's a big hassle.

PS Seems to be related to "1Password mini"?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension slow

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mmcwatters,

I'm sorry you're seeing such a long delay when trying to use the 1Password extension!

1Password mini is the icon in your Mac's menubar, and it's also what you see when you click on the extension in your browser (the extension is how mini interacts with the browser). I'm not sure why mini is taking so long to unlock, but you can try restarting it to see if that helps: From the main 1Password app, go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.

If that doesn't help, try rebooting your Mac. After it restarts, try unlocking mini / browser extension again. Does that make any difference? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew. I'll give this a shot and report back!

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the directions above, including restarting the computer, and so far (fingers crossed) things seem to be back to normal. I'll write back if not, otherwise—thanks for the help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, I'm glad that seems to have helped! Hopefully it keeps working as it should, but if the problem comes back again, let us know and we'll take a further look into it.

Happy New Year! :)

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Ugh. Sorry to report that today the issue has returned. I've done the steps above, including a full-restart of the computer. Any next steps?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mmcwatters

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having some trouble with 1Password mini as well as the extension. I would like to ask you to please create a Diagnostics Report right after the next time this happens. Please try to generate it as soon as it happens so it's easier for us to track down the logs and see what might have caused it :chuffed:

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Will do. Thank you!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mmcwatters

We'll be looking forward to it. Happy new year! :chuffed:

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar. I ran into the issue this morning, ran the diagnostic and emailed the report as indicated. I included a link to this thread as well as my handle.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @mmcwatters!

I wanted to check to make sure we received your diagnostics report email, but I couldn't find it when I searched for the email address associated with your forum account. After sending that email, did you receive a reply from the BitBot assistant? If so, please let us know the ticket ID from that response so we can track your message down and ensure it gets answered as soon as possible. Thanks!

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew. I did not receive a return email, but it seemed like everything worked as intended. Next time it happens, I'll watch the steps more closely to make sure nothing went awry. If I open the app, can I see past reports I generated / sent?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mmcwatters

Thank you for getting back to us, it seems like your email got lost in the way. You cannot see past Diagnostics Reports but you might be able to check in your Sent folder or Drafts in your email provider. If it's there, could you try sending it again, please? If you can't find it, then i hope you can send it again when this happens. I'm sorry for the trouble, and thank you so very much for your patience! :chuffed:

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Pilar. Tonight when the issue happened, I had more luck generating the report and sending it along. Here is the Support ID# I was given: #CFT-67648-727

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@mmcwatters: Thank you for the ID, I found your report! :+1:

We will take a closer look and get back to you shortly via email. Thank you once again!

ref: DHF-19795-888

• mmcwatters
    mmcwatters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg. A solution was offered, which I followed, but alas the problem persists. I sent in a new diagnostic report: #MJN-53926-365

• Hi,

I've sent you a reply via email. If you can reply to that, we should be able to help you out.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rllewis,

I'm sorry you're also having trouble trying to use the extension! Just to make sure we understand: You click on the 1Password extension icon in your browser, it asks for your master password, you enter it, but then it takes a long time (maybe a couple minutes or so) before it actually unlocks and shows your data. Is that all correct? If you're experiencing something different than what I've described, please let us know.

If that's the exact problem, please open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini. Then try unlocking 1Password from the browser extension again. Does that help? If not, please reboot your Mac and try again to unlock 1Password from the extension. Does that make any difference?

If it's still a problem after that, we'll need to know some details about your setup:

Thanks in advance! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rllewis,

I'm glad it's working better after trying those suggestions! Please let us know if the problem starts happening again.

Normally, if extra copies of 1Password on a backup drive cause a problem, you would get an error message when trying to launch the main 1Password app. So I don't think that would cause a delay when unlocking 1Password from the extension, but if the problem starts happening again, you can try disconnecting the backup drive to see if it makes a difference.

We're here for you if you need more help with that! :)

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great @rllewis!

Thanks for letting us know!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rllewis,

Sorry to hear the problem is back! To help us figure out why that's happening, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.