Trash reappears after syncing

Rococoo
Rococoo
Community Member

I’m so happy to be able to have local wi-fi syncing btw my mac (OS 10.12.2) and my iPhone (iOS 10.2) with 1P (v. 6.5 on my iPhone and v.6.5.3 on my mac). Always thankful for that!

However, I have found 2 glitches while performing local syncing:

1. If I "Empty Trash..." in my 1P OS version and I sync it with iOS 1P, the trash gets reappeared on my OS 1P. You are saying that there is no trash on iOS except the ability to delete an item. However, there is the trace of the trash left on iOS somehow and the OS picks it up back on the next syncing process and leaves it again on OS 1P. I tried to close and reopen 1P after emptying the trash but it does not help. Trashed data always comes back. The only way to get rid of the item in the trash and prevent them to reappear in OS is to delete the whole 1P iOS app and start from a scratch. - Either, we should have options to have replaced data from one specific device to another and not just a combination of two devices - or you would be able to let me know how to resolve this bug.

2. Two ways syncing also creates text to multiple itself in the notes section. This sometimes creates a very loooooong text and often crashes both iOS and OS 1P. So again, syncing causing the text to copies itself within the notes. Can this be fixed?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.5.3 OS
Extension Version: 6.5 iOS
OS Version: OS 10.12.2
Sync Type: WLAN Server

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Rococoo

Thank you for your kind words and for taking some time to get in touch with us. Both these issues seem to point to some trouble with your wifi connexion. Have you noticed any other trouble related to your connection? Have you noticed if this happens if you've connected both devices to sync through some other network?

I'd recommend you to completely reset WLAN sync: set sync to none in your computer, remove the app from your phone and set it up again from scratch.

I hope to hear back from you soon to get you all sorted out! Let us know if you try resetting sync and if it helps :chuffed:

• Rococoo
    Rococoo
    Community Member

Happy New Year!

Thanks for your response and willingness to help. No, Im not aware of problem with my local connection and do not understand how my modem/router can contribute to a text in my notes to be copied and pasted during the wlan syncing process (edit button is not pressed) and to replicates itself so many times that it becomes so long that it crashes my system. I noticed that this mainly happens to items where I put ____ underscore symbol after a paragraph or 2 (looks like the iOS app is looking for some patterns and adds itself to the existing text that is on OS app). Also it happened on my older MacBook Pro as well as on my brand new one.

Yes, Im aware of the possibility of deleting the whole iOS app, but that should not be the concept of syncing.
    Why would not you guys at least allow replacement of data from one device to another in one direction? This would solve this kind of a problem more efficiently.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Rococoo,

Happy New Year to you too! :) I hope you don't mind, but since this problem seems to be primarily happening on or affecting 1Password on your iPhone, I've moved this discussion to our iOS forum.

...do not understand how my modem/router can contribute to a text in my notes to be copied and pasted during the wlan syncing process (edit button is not pressed) and to replicates itself so many times that it becomes so long that it crashes my system.

The 'edit' button definitely isn't the issue - from your description, 1Password is having trouble determining which copy of the notes field is the correct/updated one during a sync. Basically, it thinks that notes field is different on your Mac than on your iPhone, but it doesn't know which copy to keep, so it keeps both in order to make sure you don't lose any important information. If you look through the notes field after this happens you should see a '===' separator between the copies of that text.

If you aren't making changes to those notes fields, but they are duplicated anyway, I'm not sure why that's happening, but we'll help you to solve that. It's possible the problem with the notes is related to the problem with trashed items, but it's also possible they're two separate issues.

Also it happened on my older MacBook Pro as well as on my brand new one.

Are you switching back & forth between which Mac your iPhone syncs with via WLAN server? Or do you only sync between your new Mac and your iPhone? If you sometimes change the Mac your iPhone syncs with, that might have something to do with these issues, but it shouldn't be a problem if you're only syncing with one Mac.

Yes, Im aware of the possibility of deleting the whole iOS app, but that should not be the concept of syncing.

That's correct - you absolutely should not need to delete & reinstall 1Password for iOS every time you sync. That's not what Pilar was trying to imply - she was asking you to try that as a troubleshooting technique in order to try solving the problems. You said you've already tried deleting & reinstalling the app on your iPhone, but we'd like you to try that again - this time, please also disable the WLAN Server option in 1Password on your Mac (from the main 1Password for Mac app, go to Window > WLAN Server, then un-check the WLAN Server option).

Once you've disabled WLAN Server on your Mac and deleted 1Password from your iPhone, please reinstall 1Password on your iPhone, re-enable WLAN Server on your Mac, and then open & set up 1Password on your iPhone (choose the WLAN option during the setup). When it's set up and syncing again, try deleting an item from 1Password on your iPhone (you can create a new test item and then delete it if you don't have any other items you want to delete). After the next sync, does that item reappear?

Why would not you guys at least allow replacement of data from one device to another in one direction? This would solve this kind of a problem more efficiently.

Under normal circumstances, there should be no need for an option like that, because when you make a change on one device, that change should correctly sync to your other device. Unfortunately you're running into a couple strange sync problems, but once we help you solve those, there won't be a need for an "overwrite" sync option.

For troubleshooting purposes, it's certainly possible to overwrite 1Password on one device with the data from another device - on an iOS device, one way to do that is to delete & reinstall the app and re-sync your data. But there's another way to do that - if you prefer, you can open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data. Then reopen the app and set it up again by re-syncing your data.

Please let us know how it all goes, and we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Rococoo
    Rococoo
    Community Member

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your continual enthusiasm to help and to make your product better. That is something that most of the users of 1P admire, including me.
    Just to answer some of your questions:

1. Im using only one Mac to sync with my iPhone (I was just saying that these two problems happened to me before on my old machine too - so the conclusion is that the laptops are not the cause of these issue).

2. After every syncing process, I do disable (by habit) the WLAN Server on both, my Mac and my iPhone. I empty the trash on Mac 1P. I make a new backup. I quit Mac 1P and iPhone 1P - same problems reappear if I turn the WLAN option back on and I want to sync it again with my iPhone. The trash on my Mac 1P gets those same items back in (previously emptied from Mac and deleted from iPhone) and the notes get longer, and longer.

3. Yes, at the end I did use "erase all 1Password Data" and replaced it with Mac data. Maybe the overwrite syncing option would be slightly more elegant?

Sorry, I thought others might have encountered these problems, but it seems I may be the only one with this bugs. Again, Im grateful that you kept local syncing as option on 1P and even with these problems Im very happy with the product. I will just keep using "erase all 1Password Data" option on my iPhone and try to manage my data in that way.

• Thanks for the updates @Rococoo. I suspect this may have something to do with disabling the WLAN server in between each sync. Could you please try leaving syncing enabled, and see if the problem still occurs?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.