1Password repeatedly asks whether to save user name and password

Options

Hi IPassword. Happy New year!
The issue: 1Password does not work with one of my internet bank accounts because the bank's web page deliberately requires manual input of the user name and password. I assume this is a security feature. No problem - I use 1Password to record the user name and password and input the data manually. All very easy and effective.
But recently, when I go through the data input process on this site, 1Password pops up with my every key entry to ask whether I want to save the user name and password. I do not want to save the data, because it already has been saved, and no further data input is possible until I delete the 1Password message window. Very annoying.
In an attempt to overcome the problem, I eliminated the bank's web address in the 1Password register, to no avail. Obviously, I still need the user name and password data - which is already recorded. Is there some way of getting around this irritating feature? No urgency for a response. Kind regards, Peter

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: ug:ios/fill-items-safari, kb:undefined, kb-search:browser extension for iPhone , kb:undefined, kb-search:browser extension for iPhone

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@elizabay: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! It sounds like 1Password is detecting a "new" password each time because the website is modifying it somehow. So you've got the password saved in your vault already, but 1Password keeps seeing something different when you login. Bah!

Fortunately, you can work around this fairly easily by adding an exception in 1Password Preferences > Browsers > Autosave to prevent it from prompting you on that site. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @elizabay,

If you don't mind we'd also love to learn the URL for this bank's login page please. We have improved 1Password in the past to not falsely detect password submission on sites like this but it sounds like this bank is doing something a bit differently. I would love to take a look and see if we can further improve the 1Password extension to stop this from happening. Brenty's suggestion will help for the here and now though.

There's no guarantee but I have seen one or two sites where they claim you simply must use the virtual keyboard but 1Password was able to fill the relevant field anyway. If we're going to look to see about behaving better we may as well see if we can maybe get 1Password to work better for filling too :smile:

• elizabay
    elizabay
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Brenty and littlebobbytables for your replies.
    First, I made the recommended changes in 1Password Preferences > Browsers > Autosave, but the problem continues. It certainly is not the end of the earth, just a pain in the proverbial.
    Second, the bank in question is Westpac, one of Australia's largest. The basic Westpac site address is https://www.westpac.com.au, while the log-in site is https://banking.westpac.com.au/wbc/banking/handler?TAM_OP=login&segment=personal&logout=false
    After you have had a look at the site, I would be interested to hear from you whether you can find a way to get around the requirement for manual input of the password.
    Kind regards, Peter

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @elizabay,

Thank you for the URL. Brenty's advice should work though as it did for me and I suspect I know why it might not be for you. When you added the exception did you add the full URL? If you add banking.westpac.com.au without the path or protocol (https) it should stop bugging you. The ignore list is very simple (read as dumb) so when it checks to see if it should offer to save on banking.westpac.com.au if you have https://banking.westpac.com.au 1Password won't consider them the same. We have a bug report filed for this already.

This site does sadly seem to force the use of the virtual keyboard. When you click a particular button, let's say the character a it isn't placing an a in the password field. Instead they're using character substitution so that a is transformed into 4 and the mapping changes each time you reload the page. This seems to be incredibly hostile towards password managers and the first page restricts you to 6 characters too - I hope there is a second level of security!

So at first glance I'm somewhat doubtful if we'll be able to do much here to have 1Password fill but hopefully we can help stop 1Password bug you at least.

ref: OPM-4355
    ref: OPX-1301

• elizabay
    elizabay
    Community Member
    Options

Eureka, littlebobbytables! Your advice worked perfectly. Will save a lot of gnashing of teeth. Thank you for your help. I am happy to give the 1Password support team a big tick. Cheers, Peter

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

Thanks, Peter! I'm glad that lil bobby's tip worked. We're here if you need anything else. Happy new year!

This discussion has been closed.