using mac air with os x 10.9.5. have set up icloud account. how to sync on drive

Ben 10
Ben 10
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

clicked backups to merge . will not allow me. backup not appearing.
my mac is not lised in account on appld account, even thogh i set up icloud.

can you just use sync to back up .or is back up a difernet process

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:icloud mac listed in account

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ben 10,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm having a little trouble understanding your message, but it sounds like you have questions about syncing via iCloud and/or about backing up your data. If you need help to sync 1Password with iCloud, please make sure you're following the steps here: How to sync 1Password with iCloud

However, I notice you said your Mac is running OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks), which means you're probably using 1Password 4 on that Mac (because 1Password 5 and 6 require OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or higher). Unfortunately the iCloud option in 1Password 4 worked differently than newer versions, and will no longer work correctly. If you need to sync with 1Password 4 for Mac, you'll need to use Dropbox instead: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

As for backups, 1Password automatically backs up your local vault(s) and stores those backups on your Mac. If you'd like more information about how that works, please take a look at this knowledgebase article: 1Password backups

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

can i use mac OS sierra to use 1password 6

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ben 10: Absolutely! That's what I'm using. 1Password for Mac version 6 supports Yosemite, El Capitan, and Sierra fully, but I'd definitely recommend Sierra as a nice upgrade, and Apple will be dropping support for the others sooner rather than later. Cheers! :)

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

does new license get applied if you update from 4.4.3. to 5.4.3 . what version on phone is required

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

do you get limited features on 4.3.4 & 5.4.3 if trial licenses expires.
    What app versions are available for one password 4 and 5 ?
    Version 4 still works. what happens if i update to 5 for trial licence and it expires

Says licence 4.4.3 expired . need to buy licence for all features. what are features..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

does new license get applied if you update from 4.4.3. to 5.4.3 . what version on phone is required

@Ben 10: 1Password for Mac versions 4-6 use the same license; the mobile apps are a separate purchase.

do you get limited features on 4.3.4 & 5.4.3 if trial licenses expires.

I don't recall all of the details after all these years, but I believe the trial is limited to 20 items or so. After that, you won't be able to make more once it expires.

What app versions are available for one password 4 and 5 ?

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Version 4 still works. what happens if i update to 5 for trial licence and it expires Says licence 4.4.3 expired . need to buy licence for all features. what are features..

Purchasing a license gets you things like being able to create and edit items, and also supporting us by paying us for our work, so we can keep improving 1Password and answering any questions you have. However, you may want to consider a 1Password.com subscription, since it gives you access to the latest version of all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

Thanks for advice. Im using mac air( sierra ) and iphone 4.

Version 5.4.3 .
    So you get to try features on web mac only . Are login passwords stored to icloud or just your own hard drive.

Is it correct to assume syncing login details across 2 devices is a different feature to storing login details to icloud.

My knowledge of terminology is not that good, so thanks for walking me through this process.

Have a great day. Ben 10

• Hi @Ben 10,

With all forms of sync the data is going to be stored in both the local database as well as an intermediary (in the case of dropbox that'll be an agilekeychain or opvault file, iCloud in 1Password 5 would use a modified opvault file).

I'm not sure what you mean by "storing login details in iCloud", but the way sync works is that your data from the first device is synchronized to a service (iCloud, Dropbox, 1Password.com) and then from there it is synchronized down to device 2.

Rudy

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

You : I'm not sure what you mean by "storing login details in iCloud",

Me: After you enter username and password for my site, it asks if you want to save to primary vault. ( ie. your personal mac hard drive)
    Will it replicate the same details from primary vault to icloud, If you loose mac, you can just create existing vault on new mac.

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

1password main drop down menu

option 1. File>Backuo>Sync synching primary vault with to icloud

option 2 . windows > wi-fi sync

what is the difference?

How do you confirm back up to icloud drive without testing on another mac.

Main mac using 1password 4 with sierra.
    Other one can only go up to yosemite, but only allows 1password 6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ben 10: Ah, sorry for the confusion there! 1Password doesn't use iCloud Drive — though it needs to be enabled so 1Password can use CloudKit to sync with iCloud.

Sync is also not a backup, so be sure to backup your data (not necessary with 1Password.com, as this happens automatically). The important thing to remember about sync is that deleted or damaged data syncs too, so it really can't be relied on as a backup if you run into trouble — or simply make a mistake.

Using WLAN Server to sync locally via Wi-Fi only works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices. And since it depends heavily on your network environment, it's a manual, advanced option and not recommended. There are just a lot more user-friendly, versatile methods available. And again, this won't work between multiple computers.

You can, however, use 1Password 6 on Macs running Yosemite, El Capitan, or Sierra. Cheers! :)

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

Brenty: You can, however, use 1Password 6 on Macs running Yosemite, El Capitan, or Sierra. Cheers!

Does this mean you can backup to icloud drive if you use password 6

https://support.1password.com/new-device/

• @Ben 10 I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve... it sounds like there may still be some confusion about how 1Password works with iCloud Drive. If you choose to sync your data with iCloud, it's not included in iCloud Drive since the technology used is CloudKit, and that's in a hidden iCloud folder on your devices. If you sync your data with another method, it won't be in iCloud at all. There's no need to put your data in iCloud Drive if you're syncing it somewhere else.

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

Goal: To use cloud kit. How do I install it or find hidden folder.

What version of 1password works best with this cloud kit?

Says i have synced primary vault with icloud, but it not found anywhere?

Also, please navigate me through file>restore menu from top of 1password.

Like I backup my mac hard drive and can restore whole system in same format (with operating software and settings) on new device.

Does syncing mean something different. Uncertain.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Goal: To use cloud kit. How do I install it or find hidden folder.

@Ben 10: This isn't possible. Apple makes this available only via their official developer APIs. I guess you could write an app just to do that, but I'm not sure Apple would allow it.

What version of 1password works best with this cloud kit?

1Password for Mac version 5 from the Mac App Store and version 6 from both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store use CloudKit to sync with iCloud. But again, CloudKit isn't user-accessible; it's used by apps to stored data for syncing.

Says i have synced primary vault with icloud, but it not found anywhere?

If you setup iCloud sync in 1Password on another device using the same Apple ID, you'll get the same vault there as well.

Also, please navigate me through file>restore menu from top of 1password.

Like I backup my mac hard drive and can restore whole system in same format (with operating software and settings) on new device.

You can use 1Password's backup and restore feature, but keep in mind that this is not related in any way to iCloud, CloudKit, or syncing in general.

Does syncing mean something different. Uncertain.

Yes. As I mentioned earlier, backup means a separate, redundant copy of data, so that the original can be destroyed and you can restore from it. Sync means copying data between devices to literally keep it synchronized. Contrary to a backup, if you destroy data that is being sync'd, the other devices will destroy that data as well.

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

Command \ has been working well with firfox for last year. In november 2017, Firefox upgrade to to quantum 57.0

Manual command fill not working.. I deleted extension and added new one, Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, indeed. Firefox has made some big changes. And while we released our new WebExtension with Native Messaging to support this all the way back in August, if you still had an old version of the extension Firefox 57 would have broken that for you. Glad you were able to install the current extension from our website. Cheers! :)

• Ben 10
    Ben 10
    Community Member

Good Advice,, I did click your extension link to install , closed every thing and restarted mac. My firefox setting is for firefox to be default browswer. been using 1 password 4 for mac. Not able to do command \ manual fill. and auto fill not working.. check 3 saved logins i always use. Thanks. good to hear you still at agilebits

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ben 10: Good to hear from you as well — though I wish it were under better circumstances! Unfortunately it isn't possible for 1Password 4 to integrate with Firefox going forward, as they've made some pretty big changes there. You can find more details here:

1Password 4 legacy support information

Are you able to upgrade to macOS Yosemite or higher? That would allow you to use 1Password 6, which supports Native Messaging now so it can communicate with Firefox. :)

This discussion has been closed.