add current URL to existing item from browser (feature request)

Options

Sometimes login URL are changed or the same AD / user account is used across multiple sites.
It would be extremely helpful if a URL could be added to an existing item from the browser:
idea: I get to a site which is based on an account which is already present in 1P but under a different URL
I hit the 1P button/shortcut, which shows no results.
After searching for the items , the result times should provide an additional option "add this site/URL". Then the current URL should be added to this item and the item instantly used on the current site.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:add url

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

That's an interesting idea, @sdkoenig. I'm not sure it is a common enough use case, though, to warrant a special code path. If I am in this situation, (This has happened more recently than I might have expected…) what I do is copy the URL, bring up 1Password with Option-Command-\ and search for the item I need to add the URL to. Then, I press the right arrow and then Command-E to edit the item. Then, a few tabs or a click gets me to the next website field where I can Command-V to paste the new URL. Then, Command-S saves the item and I can use Command-\ to fill. I'm not sure if you're a keyboard-first person like me, but this is a workflow that I have gotten under my fingers fairly quickly and I thought it might help to describe it in more detail.

I hope that helps.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

ref: OPM-1089

• sdkoenig
    sdkoenig
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, now i figured out the shortcuts on Windows as well.

For me this is not so uncommon, definitely more a business than a private use case.

br
    sebastian

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Cheers, Sebastian!

• tofagerl
    tofagerl
    Community Member
    Options

Working in a semi-large international company with a central AD account and multiple sites on several domains using the same account, this is something I would appreciate as well. The procedure would be pretty simple - when pressing the 1password extension button, let me choose "add current site to existing password", let me search for it, and then just... do it?

Yes, it takes a unit of work to do it, but surely that unit isn't that big...?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @tofagerl,

Thanks for writing in - it would be a nice feature to add at some point but as jxpx777 mentioned it doesn't seem to be something that will benefit a lot of our users. We always welcome feedback and feature suggestions however unfortunately we sometimes have to make the hard call of saying that we have to decide on doing something else that will benefit the most people with the time that we have to develop new features or fix existing issues.

At the moment for example we are focusing on improving the connection between the browser extension and the 1Password app itself. This is going to benefit a significant proportion of 1Password users who are writing to us multiple times a day with connection issues. I hope this explains our rationale.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• tofagerl
    tofagerl
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Sure,it's just annoying when the world doesn't conform to my every whim. I wonder if it can be scripted with Alfred or even AppleScript.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @tofagerl,

I'm not all that familiar with Alfred (although I do hear it's great). I do know that AppleScript is very powerful and while I can't guarantee anything, I believe it most likely can achieve what you wish. You will need to do some manual scripting in the Apple Script Editor though.

A good starting point for investigating this looks to be:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/AppleScript/Conceptual/AppleScriptLangGuide/introduction/ASLR_intro.html

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Matthew

This discussion has been closed.