syncing a primary vault on my iPhone to my macbook air version of the app--all on the same account

Options
Terri_S_Jones
Terri_S_Jones
Community Member

I had a very old version of 1password on my iPhone that eventually just stopped working. I bought a new version on my iPhone and started entering accounts--that created a "personal vault" with about 6 items in it. Then, I got a message saying that I could export the data from my old version of 1Password to the new version. I did that on my phone. I then had 2 vaults on the app on my iphone. The one with about 95+ accounts from my old 1Password phone account, and the vault with the 6 accounts I had put in by hand. When I bought the version of 1password for my MacBook Air (cost $69), I was able to see only the 6 items that I had input myself into 1Password, when I look at my account from my Mac. When I look at it on my iphone, I still see both vaults. I tried syncing to iCloud on my phone, which I did successfully, but when I look on my MacBook Air at 1password, I still just see the one vault that has 6 items in it. I have deleted my old 1password account, since I got the data from the old application into my iphone, but I would like to have all of that data that is now on my iphone also viewable on my MacBook Air. Thanks for any help you can give. I am so confused!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Terri_S_Jones,

I'm sorry for the confusion! I can definitely help you get this all straightened out.

From what you've described, it sounds like 1Password on your iPhone has a Primary vault with 95+ items in it, and you've set that vault to sync with iCloud. You need to sync that vault to 1Password on your Mac but are having trouble setting that up. Is that correct?

If so, I suspect you may have signed up for a 1Password.com account and are using that in 1Password on your Mac. The Primary vault on your iPhone is not part of your 1Password.com account - it's a separate vault that is only stored locally on your device unless you sync it elsewhere by using a third party sync service such as Dropbox or iCloud. But if you don't have any local vaults in 1Password on your Mac, you won't see those sync options because they aren't needed for 1Password.com account vaults.

What you'll need to do is create a new local 'Primary' vault in 1Password on your Mac, and then you'll be able to sync your data to it from iCloud. To do that:

• Open & unlock the main 1Password app on your Mac and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the Advanced tab.
    • Enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".
    • Enter the master password for your 1Password account and click Create Primary Vault.

That will create a Primary vault in 1Password on your Mac. Once you've done that, you can go to Preferences > Sync and enable iCloud for your Primary vault.

Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions about that, thanks! :)

• Terri_S_Jones
    Terri_S_Jones
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, Drew! Thank you. It worked like a charm. I am so excited! For months now I have been hobbled with a super old version of 1Password, thinking that it was too old to sync to the newest version. I am excited to have all of my data on my phone and in my Mac. With 5 minute lock down too! Much appreciated, Happy New Year!
    -Terri

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, I'm very happy to hear that was helpful for you! We love making and supporting 1Password, and we love it when our customers are also excited about it. :)

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else. Happy New Year to you too!

This discussion has been closed.