To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Access to a non-primary vault

Options
gerrykirk
gerrykirk
Community Member

I want to set up a separate vault with accounts for my kids. I have one set up, but it seems they have to log in to the main vault first. I'm not sure how to get around this.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerrykirk - That's an excellent question and I think it's awesome that you want to get your kids in on 1Password. You can't teach online security early enough, right?

While you can indeed have several separate vaults in your 1Password installation, 1Password is not a multi-user application per se. It's still your 1Password installation, and unlocking it still requires the Master Password of your Primary vault.

A way around that would be to set up separate macOS user accounts for each of your kids. Each kid would then have their own 1Password installation with their own Master Passwords. If you intend to share passwords between family members, you could even think about signing up for a Family subscription account. It makes sharing really easy as it was designed with this kind of setup in mind. :)

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else. I’ll be happy to help!

• gerrykirk
    gerrykirk
    Community Member
    Options

Ok that clarifies things. I'm starting to set up their own email addresses and such so maybe now is the time to set up multiple computer accounts. Thanks.

• Hi @gerrykirk - I'm happy @Roman_AG was able to help out :-) I'll make sure to give him a high-five when I see him. If you come across any additional questions, feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to assist. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.