Same problem as others, entire vault has now been duplicated after upgrade

Options
steven_morris
steven_morris
Community Member

I saw this issue in another question, but I'm creating a stand-alone message because this is annoying enough I want it to stand out.
I visited with my elderly parents at Christmas time and decided to set up a family account. I've been using stand alone 1P on my Mac and syncing it through dropbox with my iPhone. I created the 1P account and then connected my existing 1Password app on my mac. I thought I followed the instructions where it walked me through importing my existing vault into my family account. I can't remember exactly what I did, there was one step where there were duplicates, and I was asked to confirm that I wanted to remove the duplicates because it could not be undone. I said yes and everything was hunky dory.

Then I signed into my new 1P.com account on my iPhone and linked 1Password on my iPhone. Again I don't remember what happened. I know that I assumed from whatever transpired that everything on my phone would be replaced with the vault data from my new account. In the end, I have ended up with duplicates of my entire vault.

I have needed to continue altering and adding some data to my vault. But other than that the vault is twice the size it should be and as I start to make changes, it is becoming confusing on which of the two entry's to use.

Someone else with the same problem was able to hack the database with some scripting. This is not an acceptable option for me. And in all the replies to his issue by Agile Team members, I saw nothing but apologies for the troubles caused. This is also not acceptable. You mean to tell me that I can accidently double import my data (I'm guessing that it happened when connecting to the iOS app) and you have no method to CLEARLY prevent that or EASILY remove duplicates. I have over 900 entries in my vault, with something in most all of the categories.

I did see from the other post something about possibly restoring from some sort of backup I might have from either the original stand alone vault. Or I might have a backup from the 1P.com account from before the duplicates got created. It's late for me now. I'll go back and look when I'm rested, but the hassle of dealing with this preventable situation has me considering switching to another password manager that might be less confusing to work with.

Please make preventing this a priority. I honestly can't recommend 1P anymore because this all makes it seem too confusing to work with. Even for someone who is starting out completely newly with 1Password.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @steven_morris! I'm sorry for the trouble getting things set up. To get a better idea of what the issue is, could you please create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac and iPhone?

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac
    How to send a diagnostics report from your iPhone

Attach the Diagnostics Reports to an email, and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a confirmation number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• steven_morris
    steven_morris
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jacob, thanks for your prompt reply. Here is the confirmation number: "For your reference, your support ID is [#TJW-84334-217]."
    I looked through the HTML diagnostics from iPhone and it looks like there may be a backup from the iPhone with the original vault information. It has about 1/2 the total number of items in the vault with duplicates. Please let me know what you folks find out.

• Hi @steven_morris - Thank you for sending over the ticket reference number :-) We will take a look at the report and get back to you shortly. Have a fantastic day!

• billandglenda
    billandglenda
    Community Member
    Options

Have the same problem. I see that the last reference date to this was Jan 5! All my vault data has a duplicate logon for all the logon items.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billandglenda - Thanks for letting us know about this! I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac to get a better idea of what the issue may be:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• billandglenda
    billandglenda
    Community Member
    Options

For your reference, your support ID is [#QSZ-51466-772] Thanks Roman.
    bill

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@billandglenda - Thanks! I'll get back to you in a minute! :)

ref: QSZ-51466-772

This discussion has been closed.