To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How can I safely share passwords for shared accounts like Netflix and Amazon Prime?

Options
brendandelany
brendandelany
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Memberships

Hello! I'm pretty certain that I'm in need of a good password manager, and 1Password is definitely one of my top choices. To help me choose which password manager I'll end up using, I'd like to have a question answered about dealing with shared online accounts. I have a few of these types of accounts, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime, and I've shared the passwords to these accounts with a few family members and friends. If I sign up for 1Password, would there be a way for me to continue sharing these accounts after they've been made part of my personal 1Password account?

EDIT: I just found this article. Is this what I'm looking for? It seems like it might be, but it also looks like it only works for family and team accounts, neither of which I'm looking to purchase (I only want a personal account).

EDIT #2: What I'm looking for is something exactly like this feature that LastPass has (sorry to bring a competitor into this discussion). Does 1Password have that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS and iOS
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:netflix shared account

Comments

• Hi @brendandelany - Thank you for reaching out to us and I'm happy to hear we were one of your top choices for a password manager.

Yes, with our 1Password Families account you can add items to the Shared vault so everyone within the family has access to this data. We don't have the same sharing feature for Individual accounts as referenced in the link you provided. We do appreciate the feedback and I will make sure to share your request with the team.

Another option is to give 1Password Families a try - we do provide a 30 day free trial giving you a chance to test drive all the features before having to pay for anything :-) Let us know if you have any additional questions. Have a fantastic day!

• brendandelany
    brendandelany
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

@Frank_AG, thank you for the quick response. I'd love for the feature that I described and linked to to be implemented! In the meantime, I may end up trying out 1Password Families. However, if I don't feel like a family account would be good for me but still end up getting a personal 1Password account, would something like sending a password using a secure messaging application (like the ones listed here) be a solution to my issue as long as 1Password doesn't have the feature that we're talking about? (Or would it be safe enough to temporarily log in to my 1Password account on my friends' and family members' laptops and phones and copy and paste the passwords for the shared accounts into a locked iCloud note - they all have MacBooks and iPhones?)

• Hi @brendandelany - It's great to hear back from you :-)

One of the nice benefits of signing up for a 1Password.com account is the ability to login and view your data from any device via the web. Then like you said, you can add it to an note in iCloud if you wish. You can always create a Guest account for the members you wish to share the data with if you don't want to add them as a permanent family member. I think it's probably the best option since you receive 5 guest accounts when you sign up for 1Password Families, you can read more about our guest feature here - https://support.1password.com/guests/

That might work for your use case - keep us posted if you have any additional questions. Have a fantastic day!

This discussion has been closed.