Need to restore archive vault from Time Machine

Options
barnaby416
barnaby416
Community Member

I have 3 devices running 1Password (currently 6.5.3): MacPro (El Capitan), MacBook Pro (Sierra), and iPhone 7 (10.2), all sync with iCloud. One day I decided to fresh install El Capitan on my MacPro, I just wiped the disks clean and installed like new since I have multiple backup (both Time Machine and just plain copy of folders on multiple H/Ds) and 1Password is on iCloud, so I though.

Then I remember I have moved some of my old items to the archive vault that was only on the MacPro and not being synchronized via iCloud. I'm looking at the Time Machine backup now, but where is the data file and how do I open it?

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: Not used
OS Version: El Capitan/Sierra/iOS 10.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:restore

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @barnaby416,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! Sorry you're having some trouble restoring your secondary/Archive vault, but don't worry, I can definitely help you with that.

If that Archive vault existed only on your Mac Pro and wasn't syncing anywhere else, you'll need to restore 1Password from one of its backup files on Time Machine. Before doing that, make sure any changes you've made to the Primary vault on your Mac Pro have synced to your other devices.

The location of the Backups folder for 1Password will be different depending on which version you're using:

AgileBits Store version:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

(If you have any trouble finding the Backups folder on Time Machine, let us know and we can give some more specific steps.)

Find the Backups folder in Time Machine, restore the most recent backup file there, then exit Time Machine. Open 1Password, go to File > Backup, and look for that backup file in the list there. Select it, click the Restore button, and follow the steps to complete the restore.

When you restore from a backup in 1Password, the sync settings will be disabled, so you'll just need to re-enable sync with iCloud for your Primary vault afterwards.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, and if you run into any trouble, we'll continue from there. Cheers!

• barnaby416
    barnaby416
    Community Member
    Options

Works perfectly as described, thank you very much :-)

• rudy
    Options

@barnaby416,

Its great to hear that @Drew_AG was able to help you get that archive vault back!

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.