To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Suggestions for migrating a large number of passwords organized with folders to a 1password account

Options
sweenzor
sweenzor
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Memberships

Hiya!

I have a fairly large number of passwords organized in folders, when I migrated them to a 1password.com account, the folders were not transfered, as I understand folders are not supported. This makes the resulting passwords tricky to navigate, as they were organized by the using the names of the folders.

Do you have any suggestions for managing this sort of import? Even a way to save the directory structure i.e. "Folder1>Folder2>Folder3" as a field in the password would be helpful. Is there scripting support for imports or other ways to handle non-standard migrations?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Mac 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hiya @sweenzor, and welcome to the forum!

I'll certainly pass along your suggestions and concerns to our development team. Although we're not promising anything in regards to unreleased features, we do have improvements in mind for migration from folders to tags.

Do you have any suggestions for managing this sort of import? Even a way to save the directory structure i.e. "Folder1>Folder2>Folder3" as a field in the password would be helpful.

Personally, I'd typically reclassify items currently in folders by adding relevant tags (maybe along the lines of "Folder1>Folder2>Folder3" like you've mentioned) before they're moved to vaults without folders. Or if I had folders with larger numbers of items I might create separate vaults corresponding to each folder for storing their respective items.

Is there scripting support for imports or other ways to handle non-standard migrations?

Not at the moment, but that's an interesting idea. :)

Thanks for bringing this up!

ref: OPM-3743

• sweenzor
    sweenzor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of sjk you are very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.