Attachments are blank when opened on Mac

LKTG
LKTG
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

Hello Team,

First, I had that issue in the past and I don't recall how I've solved it.

I am having 1Password running on my iPhone and Mac(s). All synced via Dropbox. All the devices synced correctly other than that issue.

When I am trying to open attached file (any type, PDF/JPG) on the Mac, then it opens an empty file (like file not exists).

I know that the issue might solve with OPVault and I would like to convert it. However, if I am backing up the files on the Mac and the attachments are not there... will the new vault (OPVault) include it or not?

Details:
Mac: 1Password 6 - Version 6.6.BETA-2 (660002)
iOS: 1Password 6 - Version 6.5.1 (651000)
Vault: agilekeychain

1Password Version: 6.6 BETA-2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:sync attachment ios to mac

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@LKTG:

When I am trying to open attached file (any type, PDF/JPG) on the Mac, then it opens an empty file (like file not exists).

How are you trying to open the file? Have you tried dragging it from 1Password to the Desktop?

Stephen

• LKTG
    LKTG
    Community Member

@Stephen_C
    I've tried both ways... double click it directly from 1Password app or drag it to the desktop. in both cases it came empty file (with the right file name).

I know there is a way to push all the information from the iOS back to Mac but not sure what it is.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LKTG,

I'm sorry your attachments aren't working in 1Password on your Mac! I don't know if switching to a .opvault sync file in Dropbox would make a difference, as that's only used for syncing data between your devices. The data you see when you open the 1Password app is stored in a database in another location on your Mac.

You didn't specifically say it, but it sounds like those same attachments are working correctly on your iPhone? (If you aren't sure, please double-check.) If the attachments are working on your iPhone, and if you have all your latest 1Password data on your iPhone, you can try creating a 1Password backup on the iPhone, copy it to your Mac, and then use that to restore 1Password on your Mac.

To create a backup of 1Password on your iPhone and copy that backup file to your Mac, follow the steps here: iOS: Create a backup

Next, on your Mac, open 1Password and go to File > Backup (that will open the Backup preferences and also create a brand new backup of the data in 1Password on your Mac as a precaution). Click the Find Backup button and select the backup file you copied from your iPhone, then restore from that backup.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• LKTG
    LKTG
    Community Member

Hello @Drew_AG ,

First, thanks for the reply!
    Second, I thought I've mentioned it, but I guess not, I am able to view the attachments on the iOS device!

I've followed the steps you've recommended and now I am able to see the attachments on the Mac. so thanks!

It is not the first time I'm having that problem. I've always used Dropbox as sync method. I wonder what your recommendations here?

Should I migrate to OPValut now? I don't have an online account.

• Hi @LKTG,

I think if you run into this again we'll definitely want to get a Diagnostic Report from your Mac to see if it gives any clues as to the root cause of the failure.

As long as you're not working with any really old client apps it should be fine to switch to opvault going forward.

Rudy

• LKTG
    LKTG
    Community Member

@rudy , I will definitely going to report back once I run into it again.
    as for "old" clients, I don't have anything below version 6.

Thanks again!

• @LKTG

:+1:

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.