I am running 1password6 (free version) on my Mac &on my iPhone. I can't find the WLAN icon to sync

Kayaker2
Kayaker2
Community Member

I am running the free version of 1Password6 on a Macbook ( OS10.11.6) and on my iPhone 6. I would like to sync using WiFi, but can't find the wifi icon under Preferences. I tried turning my wifi on and off, but that didn't help. What should I d? I am not ready to upgrade to the paid version yet. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: wlan
Referrer: forum-search:wlan icon

Comments

• Hi @Kayaker2,

The current name of the tab in the preferences window is WLAN Server. If that tab isn't present (Sync and Backup would also not be present) then you are currently exclusively signed into a 1Password.com account and have no local vaults to synchronize. 1Password.com account vaults automatically synchronize your encrypted data our https://my.1password.com server.

Rudy

• Kayaker2
    Kayaker2
    Community Member

Hi Rudy,

I do have a vault under my name and "personal" . I see neither the WLAN server tab, nor a backup or sync tab. Can you help?

• Hi @Kayaker2,

It sounds like you've setup 1Password for Mac with a 1Password.com account. WLAN sync isn't available with 1Password.com accounts and requires local vaults in order to work. Only vaults created outside of the 1Password.com account would sync over WLAN.

To create a local vault, go into Preferences > Advanced, and at the bottom there should be a checkbox labeled "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". Checking that should create a Primary vault which will live outside of the account.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• Kayaker2
    Kayaker2
    Community Member

Thank you!!!!

• @Kayaker2,

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you're trying to setup WLAN sync when you've already got a sync mechanism setup by way of the 1Password.com account?

Rudy

• Kayaker2
    Kayaker2
    Community Member

I guess I am confused about how passwords are stored. When you say I have a 1passowrd.com account set up does that mean my passwords are stored on your server?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

Hi @Kayaker2,

Sorry for the confusion! The data in your 1Password.com account (which includes the 'Personal' vault as well as any other vaults you add to your account on 1Password.com) syncs through our own secure server, so you don't need to configure any sync settings - on another device, you would simply sign into your account from the 1Password app, and your data will automatically be downloaded there. This also allows you to access your 1Password data from any web browser, if you want to.

Your data is also stored locally on each device, so it's not only on the server (in other words, you can still use 1Password even if you're temporarily without an internet connection). And just to be clear, we don't have access to your data: our server only has an encrypted "blob" which can only be decrypted by your Account Key and master password, and we don't have those, either. Your Account Key was created locally on your device when you signed up, and your master password is never synced anywhere and is known only by you. Therefore, no one (not even us) can decrypt your data, except you. If you're curious about the security of a 1Password.com account, please make sure you read our white paper.

Because the data in your account already syncs via our server, there's no need to create a local vault that uses the WLAN Server option. I hope that helps to clear up the confusion, but if you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

• Kayaker2
    Kayaker2
    Community Member

If I would prefer just to store my passwords in my personal vault locally, how do i delete my account so that future passwords are just stored locally

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Kayaker2: First make sure that you have local vaults enabled (Preferences > Advanced) and that you've copied all of your data there. Then just sign out of your 1Password.com Account (Preferences > Accounts), and then Permanently Delete Account in your 1Password.com Profile. Cheers! :)

• Kayaker2
    Kayaker2
    Community Member

How can I tell if all my passwords are in my local vault rather than on my account?

• @Kayaker2,

Local vault would be called Primary and the account vault would be called Personal; you can switch between those specific vaults to see what they contain in 2 different ways:
    if you either click on the 1Password menu-> Switch to Vault

or

click where it says "All vaults" in the main window and then select the desired specific vault

Rudy

• Kayaker2
    Kayaker2
    Community Member

How do I move everything from my 1 Password account to my local vault?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kayaker2,

In the main 1Password app, switch to the Personal account vault and make sure 'All Items' is selected in the left sidebar. Right-click on one of the items in the list and choose 'Select All', then go to Item > Share > Primary > Move. Once you've done that, switch to the Primary vault and make sure you see all your items there.

You can also find steps to move items from one vault to another here: To move items in the apps

Keep in mind that if you have any Documents items in your Personal account vault, those won't be moved to your Primary vault (the Documents item category doesn't exist in local vaults). You'll need to download files from the Documents items to somewhere on your Mac (like the Desktop), then switch to the Primary vault and add those files as attachments to items there.

After you've moved everything from your account vault to a local vault, you can go to 1Password > Preferences > Accounts and sign out of your 1Password.com account, if you no longer want to use it.

If you have more questions or need additional help with that, please let us know! :)

• Kayaker2
    Kayaker2
    Community Member

Thanks! This was GREAT tech support!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, I'm glad that was helpful! Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.