Running 1password app on iOS on my iPad mini. Vaults now are named strings of random letters/numbers

Options
BveryBrave
BveryBrave
Community Member
edited January 2017 in iOS

Been using 1password.com family account for months now. Worked fine on iPad mini until today. Used it to log in at slack.com and that worked fine the first time, but the second time (I have more than one team at slack), the list from 1password was a blank grey box. I tried opening the 1password app to find the password and noticed all the vaults had garbled strings of letters/numbers instead of their assigned names.

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Applicable
OS Version: 9.3.3
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search: vault corruption

Comments

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmmm. The iPad data vaults seemed to have healed themselves over night. I will now try to log into my slack teams and see how it goes.

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

Oh well. I didn't even get to try that test. I left 1password app, read an email using native apple app, went into safari to look at a bookmarked page and came back to 1password. All data unavailable and vault names mangled.

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening, but can work around by locking screen and then coming back in and re-entering pass phrase

• rudy
    Options

@BveryBrave,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Rudy

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rudy.
    Won't have time to do this now, but will let you know when I have the report, etc. etc.

• rudy
    Options

@BveryBrave,

Sounds good, we'll be waiting.

Rudy

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Diagnostics sent. Wow, your app sure collected a lot of data from my iPad!

Support ID: #WRW-19612-412

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BveryBrave: Since iOS apps are sandboxed, it can't really collect much outside of 1Password itself apart from some basic system version information...but what we're really interested in is what's going on with 1Password after all! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: WRW-19612-412

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Yes, I understand about only having access to 1password info.

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

New development on this issue. After doing an iCloud backup and updating to latest iOS, trying to use 1password to log into a Slack.com team still fails, but the vaults remain accessible.

This is progress.

Bummer, second half of post vanished.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BveryBrave: I'm sorry that you're not only having trouble with 1Password for iOS, but also the forum software. :(

It's definitely an odd issue, so I'm heartened to hear that you're backing up to iCloud. Unfortunately iCloud/iTunes backup/restore is not always reliable, so be sure to backup your important 1Password data as well. At any rate, thank you for sending the diagnostics via email! I'm looking them over now, and will reply there shortly.

ref: WRW-19612-412

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

If I put an iOS emoticon in my post, everything after it (and including the emoticon) does not appear in the post. So no more iOS emojis in my posts here.

My 1password account is a family account, so I am expecting backups to be handled by your servers. Is there something more I need to be doing?

As for the remaining issue, here are the steps that lead to it...

• open Slack.com app
    • ask to open a new slack team
    • tap on link to password manager
    • choose 1password icon that shows in box
    • watch 1password show unlock with split/open animation
    • observe greyed out box with no login options
    • tapping anywhere on screen does nothing
    • have to close app to restore responsiveness
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If I put an iOS emoticon in my post, everything after it (and including the emoticon) does not appear in the post. So no more iOS emojis in my posts here.

@BveryBrave: Ah, yes. Unfortunately that's a bug with the forum software. We've reported it to the developer, so hopefully they can fix that. I'm sorry for the trouble that caused. :(

My 1password account is a family account, so I am expecting backups to be handled by your servers. Is there something more I need to be doing?

Thanks for clarifying! You're 100% correct: 1Password.com automatcially backs up any data you have stored there (and keep an item history for you as well), so there's nothing at all you need to do. I just wanted to cover the bases in case you had any local vault you used, outside of 1Password.com. Can't be too careful. :)

As for the remaining issue, here are the steps that lead to it...
    open Slack.com app
    ask to open a new slack team
    tap on link to password manager
    choose 1password icon that shows in box
    watch 1password show unlock with split/open animation
    observe greyed out box with no login options
    tapping anywhere on screen does nothing
    have to close app to restore responsiveness

I'm not able to reproduce this, but it does sound similar to an issue some folks are experiencing with iOS. Did you try what I suggested in my email reply?

Open 1Password and go to Settings > Security. Enable Lock on Exit, then see if you run into the same issue again.

Let me know if that helps!

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

Your suggestion does provide a workaround. Thanks!

Seems the locked up grey screen only shows if 1password is already unlocked when I try and use it to open a slack.com team. I had noticed that before, but didn't really make a note of it at the time.

Your workaround makes 1password a bit more tedious to use, but at least it works.
    I wish your team the best as they puzzle out how to fix this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

Your workaround makes 1password a bit more tedious to use, but at least it works. I wish your team the best as they puzzle out how to fix this.

I agree that this isn't an ideal workaround, but I'm glad that helps for now. And thank you for the encouragement while we work on a better solution! :)

• BveryBrave
    BveryBrave
    Community Member
    Options

:) :) :)

• Good morning @BveryBrave! Thank you so much for sending in that diagnostic report. It confirmed my suspicion about the trouble you were running into: you fell into a small decryption edge case. Allow me to explain.

You security settings were such that:

1. Lock on Exit was disabled.
    2. Auto-lock was set for 10 minutes
    3. You were not using any sort of quick unlock (Touch ID or PIN code)

This particular combination of settings results in a scenario where you could unlock 1Password with your Master Password, send the app to the background, iOS kills the app, you relaunch it within 10 minutes, and 1Password attempts to unlock itself but cannot decrypt any of your information because it doesn't have a Master Password with which to do so.

The reason that the quick unlock setting comes into play is that enabling quick unlock saves the Master Password to the iOS keychain, thereby giving 1Password a means to decrypt your information if it's opened again within 10 minutes.

You've already discovered one workaround here thanks to Brenty: enabling Lock on Exit. The other one would be to enable PIN code unlock.

I hope this helps explain things and gets you on your way, but if you need anything else please don't hesitate to ask.

This discussion has been closed.