Sync multiple vaults with multiple Dropbox accounts

Options
mercuryrsng
mercuryrsng
Community Member

I am trying to sync multiple Vaults with multiple Dropbox accounts on iPassword for Mac but I cannot figure out how to do it. The process is extremely simple on iOS.

Please can someone help me?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3 beta
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rudy
    Options

Hi @mercuryrsng,

Ignoring the hurdle of setting up dropbox in a way that you can have multiple dropbox accounts locally syncing.

It should be as simple as going down the list of vaults on the Sync tab in the preferences window and specifying those different dropbox folders as the storage location for the opvault files.

Is there some specific part you got stuck on?

Rudy

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rudy,

I don't have my second vault in 1Password yet. So I can't change any settings yet. How do I add a second vault?

• rudy
    Options

Hi @mercuryrsng,

Ah, I thought you had already setup your vaults.

If you click on the 1Password menu in the menubar there should be a "New Vault" menu item about half way down the list.

Rudy

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member
    Options

Well, this second vault is already set up....however I am on a new computer and am trying to re-link it. I was able to link my main but this new one is saved in another Dropbox account. I don't need to create a new one.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mercuryrsng,

Thanks for clarifying that - and sorry for the confusion! If I understand, you already have multiple vaults synced with Dropbox, but in different Dropbox accounts?

Normally, to start syncing an additional vault from Dropbox with the 1Password for Mac app, you would simply need to find that vault's sync file in the local Dropbox folder on your Mac and double-click on it (the 1Password app will ask if you want to add it). But if your vaults are synced with different Dropbox accounts, that's going to be a problem because the Dropbox app will only allow you to be signed in to one account at a time. The exception to that is if one of those accounts is a Dropbox Business account, which allows you to be signed into a work account and a personal account at the same time. You can find more information on Dropbox's support site here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/61

Are both of your Dropbox accounts personal accounts? Or is one of them a business account?

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member
    Options

They are both personal accounts. As a side note, it's very easy to sync multiple vaults in different Dropbox accounts with the iOS app.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mercuryrsng,

Thanks for confirming that. Unfortunately you won't be able to sync two different Dropbox accounts at the same time on your Mac. One solution would be to keep both of those sync files in the same Dropbox account.

If the sync files need to remain in separate Dropbox accounts, another option would be to share one of those sync files with the other Dropbox account, so that account has access to both sync files. Just make sure the sync file is in its own folder within Dropbox, and you can share it by following the steps on Dropbox's support site here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/19

As a side note, it's very easy to sync multiple vaults in different Dropbox accounts with the iOS app.

The Mac version of 1Password writes data to the Dropbox folder stored locally on your Mac, and the Dropbox app (which only allows you to be signed into a single Dropbox account) is responsible for syncing that data to/from the Dropbox servers. But the file system on iOS isn't accessible in the same way as on a Mac, so the iOS version of 1Password uses the Dropbox API to sync directly with the Dropbox servers. Because of that, it's possible to choose different Dropbox accounts from the sync settings of 1Password on an iOS device. That's not exactly what we had in mind when designing 1Password for iOS, but it seems to have been a benefit for you. I'm sorry it doesn't work the same way on a Mac!

Please let us know if you need more help with that! :)

• mercuryrsng
    mercuryrsng
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. I understand how it works now (I didn't before). I'll move the files into the same Dropbox account and move on.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.