Menu bar not visible

TomTurriff
TomTurriff
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

When I open 1Passport the menu bar is not visible. All that is visible are 4 items in the sidebar related to my vault and all the 100 or so login sites I have entered in the main body of the window. Obviously the menus need to be visible and function if the software is to function properly. My demo period expires in a couple days and I want to be certain the software works before I purchase it. Can you please help me in a timely manner?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.2.333d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't add a new login

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @TomTurriff,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry you bumped into troubles with 1Password 6 for Windows.

The thing is that there is no menu bar in 1Password 6, as you know it from 1Password 4:

In order to add a new item in 1Password 6 you should press a "New Item" button just below the Search bar:

You can also login to the website in the browser with 1Password extension installed and 1Password should prompt to save a new login.

Please let me know if it helps and answers your question. If I am totally off the mark, please get back to us and share a screenshot of what you mean. However, please conceal any sensitive information that could be there. No need to share your passwords or anything like that. :)

Thank you very much in advance!

++
    Greg

• TomTurriff
    TomTurriff
    Community Member

Thank you Greg.

I am new to 1Password (still in my trial period) and have not used version 4. I have successfully entered the login data for all my sites. I think my confusion comes from reading the documentation for ver. 4 which has a menu bar. What triggered my question is that now that my data is entered, I want to find out where it is on my hard drive so that I can back it up on other drives. I read the ver 4 documentation and saw the menu bar, which has a backup menu item. I cannot find similar documentation for version 6.

Can you point me to some ver. 6 documentation that can help me understand and use the software effectively?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

• Hi @TomTurriff,

Thanks for writing back.

We don't yet have a dedicated user guide for 1Password 6 as it is a young/new app and it is ongoing heavy development. For now, we're merging the content for 1Password 6 into the general 1Password guides instead because we're trying to ensure all 1Password apps have identical experiences. You can find it on https://support.1Password.com.

If there's a specific area where we don't have the information, let us know and we'll help you with it.

• TomTurriff
    TomTurriff
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

That is my point. Under the 1Password backups section of the support section for Windows to create a backup it states "Open 1Password and chose Backup>Backup 1Password Vault. To see where the backups are kept, choose File>Prferences>Backup, and see 'folder for backup copies'." With version 6, how do I back up the vault? There is no menu bar for Ver. 6.

Also that document states local vaults are backed up automatically on your Mac. I'm using a PC. Is my vault backed up automatically on my PC? If so where? I want to be certain it is not backed up on the drive as the vault: that could be catastrophic.

Thanks.

Tom

• Hi @TomTurriff,

Under the 1Password backups section of the support section for Windows

Right, the backups section does say 1Password 4 for Windows under Windows but we should clarify the lack of 1Password 6 under it. In this case, 1Password 6 is only supporting 1Password.com accounts, which if you look on top of the support guide, is automatically handled by our 1Password.com servers. There are no separate backup settings for 1Password.com accounts.

The backups are for local vaults only, which is only supported in 1Password 4 for Windows at the moment.

Also that document states local vaults are backed up automatically on your Mac. I'm using a PC. Is my vault backed up automatically on my PC?

Only if you're using 1Password 4 for Windows that support local vaults and in this case, it does back up your vault daily for you.

• TomTurriff
    TomTurriff
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation, Mike.

Eventually I'll understand how this program works! :-)

Tom

• You're welcome, we're always here to help if you have more questions or need help with something.

This discussion has been closed.