Setting up single-license sync thru dropbox on my new phone, asks for the vault password.

Options
lorinspaulding
lorinspaulding
Community Member

Setting up sync thru Dropbox on my new iPhone, asks for Master Password for the Dropbox Vault, says "That Master Password is not correct," doesn't take my 1Password database password or my Dropbox password. Is the vault password it's asking for something different which I probably don't remember? Should I just set up a new vault in Dropbox on my Mac? I'm using single-license 1Password (v.5.1) Agile Web Store) on Mac and single-license 1Password (v.6.5) on iPhone. I'm signed into Dropbox with the same account on both Mac and iPhone.
Worked flawlessly on my old iPhone. Thanks for any help.

1Password Version: OS X: v.5.1 iOS: v.6.5
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: iOs: 10.2, OS X: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Good morning @lorinspaulding. Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having here. The Master Password you're being asked for on your iPhone is the same one you use to unlock 1Password on your Mac. However, if that password isn't being accepted it's possible that an old Master Password might do the trick. If you've previously changed your Master Password you can try one of those to see if that works.

I also noticed that you're running an older version of 1Password for Mac. Please update to the latest version either by checking for updates within 1Password 5 or downloading a new copy from https://1password.com/downloads/

Barring an old Master Password gumming up the works, blowing away your 1Password vault on Dropbox and setting up sync again from your Mac would certainly put things straight. Here are some steps for that:

1. Kill 1Password on your iPhone
    2. Open and unlock 1Password on your Mac.
    3. Click on 1Password 6 > Preferences… in the menu bar.
    4. Click the Sync tab
    5. Set the Primary vault to sync with "None"
    6. Open a new Finder window and navigate to your Dropbox folder.
    7. Find your 1Password file within your Dropbox folder and drag it to the Trash.
    8. Switch back to 1Password and follow the instructions on how to set up Dropbox syncing here: https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/
    9. Wait a few minutes and then set up syncing on your iPhone again.

Let me know how this works out for you and if there's anything else I can do to help out.

• lorinspaulding
    lorinspaulding
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback - I'll try the first suggestion first, an older password. On my old iPhone, the current password worked, so I don't understand why an old password would gum up the works, but anything's possible.
    You suggested updating 1Password 5 on my Mac - indeed there's an update, and I'm applying it now.
    You also suggested downloading a new copy from the downloads page, but the copy it wants to download is v. 6.5.3 - should I just install that?
    Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lorinspaulding,

On behalf of MrRooni, you're very welcome! Please let us know how it all goes as far as trying the older master password, and/or deleting and re-creating the sync file in Dropbox.

The latest version of 1Password for Mac is 6.5.3, so that should be the version you end up with regardless of whether you install the update or download a fresh copy. (If you don't have 6.5.3 after the update you're currently installing, try checking for updates again.)

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• lorinspaulding
    lorinspaulding
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for our support! After updating my Mac to version 6, suddenly the iPhone app did the right thing and accepted my password, and all my passwords appear in the iPhone app. I guess the answer was to be running the current version on both platforms. Thanks again for your help!
    Lorin

• Ben
    Options

Interesting. Thanks for the update Lorin! Glad to hear that updating seems to have resolved this problem for you.

Going forward I would recommend making sure you have up to date backups from both Mac and iOS:

1Password backups

Ben

This discussion has been closed.