How can I Integration into a custom application, similar to browser extensions?

Options

I am using 1password for Teams and would like to integrate into an internal piece of software written for Windows. I would see the usage very similar to how the browser extensions work where we'd rely on Mini to provide the UI and the plugin would pull the credential details as needed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I Integration into a custom application, similar to browser extensions?

Comments

• Hi @joshucar,

That's a great question. At the moment there's no sanctioned way for you to do this. Some people have managed to do it by reverse-engineering our browser extension. While neat, this isn't an approach that we would encourage.

I'd love to hear more about the use you've got in mind. We've been starting to look at how we could start letting 3rd parties leverage 1Password.com. There's different ways that we could go about that, like maybe opening up access to some of our server APIs. Or maybe providing a library that can do all of the communication with our server. Another approach would be to provide a command line app that could easily be scripted. There's all sorts of ways that we can go about it, and I'd love to hear about what you're trying to accomplish to see what would work best for your case.

Rick

• joshucar
    joshucar
    Community Member
    Options

The first project is a piece of software that various development teams use to run various utilities, perform deployments, etc. against external systems. At current we hard-store (encrypted) the passwords in configuration files but as you know that can quickly get out of sync and honestly I trust the security in your service than is likely being handled with these configuration files. In my use case I can guarantee that the client has the 1password client installed so using Mini seemed to make sense. I'm not against using a library or web services. All approaches allow your system to control access and audit things.

Let me know how I can help further as this would be a fantastic addition to these tools.

After this first project, I do have a few client facing solutions that require authentication and it'd be nice to do a simple integration like you offer for many iOS applications, but on the PC. This allows me to encourage my clients to utilize better password management tools.

Thanks!

• Thanks for explaining. I'm hopeful that we'll be able to provide something.

Cheers.

Rick

• joshucar
    joshucar
    Community Member
    Options

@rickfillion I look forward to hearing what you'll be able to provide. I'm sure there are many software vendors that would look to integrate this into their solutions, but even if not, I do! ;-)

Thanks!

• I look forward to it as well :) Let us know if you have some other questions.

This discussion has been closed.