Painful Migration to Family Accounts

sroever
sroever
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Families

I was really looking forward to using the new family account feature, in part because it would allow me to move away from Dropbox and also because I like the idea of a shared vault and private vaults. But the migration has been a huge pain:

• Loss of folder functionality: Nowhere was this called out in advance, so like many others I spent a lot time trying to figure out where that option had gone. I thought I was doing something wrong.

• Replacing folders with tags: I get the idea that folders are redundant, but at a minimum there should be a way to automatically create tags for the folders that now don't exist anymore. I have about 600 entries in 1P and doing this manually took a LONG time

• Loss of Smart Folders: Again, no warning upfront. Somebody just decided to get rid of a feature and then you leave it to your users to discover that after the fact. If you can't support smart folders anymore, because folders were eliminated, the logical equivalent would be to support saved searches. Smart folders were a key part of my workflow and organization, so that I don't have to manually check every entry for consistency, especially in a setup where multiple people can contribute to the database. It's a lazy and inconsiderate way to role out an "upgrade". If you want to add a new feature such as shared accounts and in the process move the whole business model to subscriptions, please be upfront about what the limitations will be, so that your users don't wind up wasting a lot of time.

I'm really annoyed by the whole process.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @sroever,

I'm sorry that this was a painful experience for you. We've been wanting to implement the Folder > Tags conversion. That would certainly have lessened some of that pain.

Loss of Smart Folders is hopefully a temporary thing. Not doing Folders was a conscious decision to break off a feature we didn't believe in anymore. Smart Folders isn't there because its implementation in 1Password for Mac was very limited and only worked with 1Password for Mac. Smart Folders as a piece of technology needs to be re-thought from our end to encode the search in a way that the other apps can make use of them.

I'm sorry that this information wasn't better conveyed to you before you did the migration process.

Rick

• sroever
    sroever
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your quick response. Like I said, the loss of folders isn't a big deal, given that tags can do the same thing. It's just the effort of redoing everything.

Saved searches are very important in my view. Given that Safari and Chrome now all support saving and synchronizing passwords via the cloud, the advantage of 1Password is in its organizational capabilities. Smart searches help enforce consistency and rules across the database and all users.

Best,
    Stefan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I couldn't agree more. We're hoping to find a better solution for something like saved searches, one that can be used across all platforms (as opposed to the Smart Folder feature, which is very Apple-centric). Thanks so much for your feedback on this! :)

• BrineWR71
    BrineWR71
    Community Member

I also have had a terrible experience. I have been a Dropbox-sync user for 4 or 5 years now. I LOVE 1Password and tell EVERYONE I know to get it. My FATHER, after YEARS of cajoling, finally decided to get 1Password. I signed him up on the online account version instead of the Dropbox-sync method. I also transitioned to the online account version. Now, instead of One Password (hey! Where have I heard that phrase before?) I now have to print and remember all manner of impossible information to access my account. And, for the past week, my father has not been able to sign onto his 1Password account because the password that he used wasn't working on his computer. It would work on the 1Password.com website, but try as we might, it wouldn't connect on his mac. I assumed that this was just "operator error" and I would be able to get it to work. No.

I figured I would get into his computer and find some old vault that has been there for years since the first time I tried to set him up, but didn't find anything.

Now, today I get message after message telling me that my account has been locked because it's time to subscribe. So, I try to subscribe, but when I try, the Master Password I used doesn't work. I can't get access to the page. I've been trying for 45 minutes to get it to work. I have the password save (where else) in 1Password and it STILL DOESN'T WORK!!

I've got to say, the WHOLE POINT of this program is that you only have to remember ONE PASSWORD. EPIC FAIL!

Now I've got to go back and deal with my Dad who is not the most patient man when it comes to these things. Not only did you damage my faith in your great product and company, but my father is probably a lost cause for the next 5 years at least. And I, as his personal IT support will have ton go through all that pain of him not remembering his passwords for YEARS to come.

Forget Teams or Families. The best solution is still the Dropbox-sync. No muss-no fuss

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I also have had a terrible experience. I have been a Dropbox-sync user for 4 or 5 years now. I LOVE 1Password and tell EVERYONE I know to get it. My FATHER, after YEARS of cajoling, finally decided to get 1Password. I signed him up on the online account version instead of the Dropbox-sync method. I also transitioned to the online account version. Now, instead of One Password (hey! Where have I heard that phrase before?) I now have to print and remember all manner of impossible information to access my account.

@BrineWR71: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry you're having so much trouble! In fact, you really do only need to remember a single password: your Master Password. If it's long, strong, and unique, there's no need to change it, or add others. It sounds like you may be referring to the Account Key and/or Emergency Kit. As the name implies, this is really something you only need in an emergency, so it's best to save a copy of it to a safe deposit box or similar just in case you ever have a really, really bad day and need it. You see, any authorized device/browser will only require your Master Password to access your data -- and the Account Key as well (in settings), so you can use an existing device to authorize a new one without needing to go to the trouble of remembering or keeping this information handy: you already have it. Definitely a bit confusing though, since, as a long-time 1Password user (thank you!), it's different than what you're used to. I can certainly relate to that!

And, for the past week, my father has not been able to sign onto his 1Password account because the password that he used wasn't working on his computer. It would work on the 1Password.com website, but try as we might, it wouldn't connect on his mac. I assumed that this was just "operator error" and I would be able to get it to work. No. I figured I would get into his computer and find some old vault that has been there for years since the first time I tried to set him up, but didn't find anything.

It does sound like he (or you) may have setup the 1Password app originally with a different Master Password -- perhaps using/trying 1Password with a local vault. If he's certain that all of his data is accessible through 1Password.com, he can simply start over with the app and then set it up with his 1Password.com Account. That way he'll be using the same Master Password he's been using there.

Now, today I get message after message telling me that my account has been locked because it's time to subscribe. So, I try to subscribe, but when I try, the Master Password I used doesn't work. I can't get access to the page. I've been trying for 45 minutes to get it to work. I have the password save (where else) in 1Password and it STILL DOESN'T WORK!! I've got to say, the WHOLE POINT of this program is that you only have to remember ONE PASSWORD. EPIC FAIL!

(Un)fortunately we don't have any information about your Master Password or the ability to reset it, and can't prevent you from using a different one in different places -- and that wouldn't really be appropriate anyway. That's got to be frustrating though. But from your description, it sounds like there's probably a solution. Which Master Password have you used previously? Be sure to try those. Unless you've changed it there, it will still be the same. Do you have a 1Password Account? Please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Account Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

You may have multiple vaults/accounts you've setup with different Master Passwords over time. If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know what you find!

Now I've got to go back and deal with my Dad who is not the most patient man when it comes to these things. Not only did you damage my faith in your great product and company, but my father is probably a lost cause for the next 5 years at least. And I, as his personal IT support will have ton go through all that pain of him not remembering his passwords for YEARS to come. Forget Teams or Families. The best solution is still the Dropbox-sync. No muss-no fuss

I think your dad may feel differently than "No muss-no fuss" when it comes to Dropbox, but I get where you're coming from. I've used Dropbox for years myself, and its served me well. But that's definitely one more password that's needed when setting up a new device. I'm really sorry that you've run into these roadblocks, but we'll help you -- and your dad -- get things sorted out. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.