Why does 1p logo disappear in my OS X 10.12.2 menubar menu? [resolved: removed XMenu app]

Options
blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member
edited June 2017 in Mac

I forgot the keystrokes. Have I shut off the 1P logo from being in my overhead menubar? I thought it would stay in the menubar if 1P starts up when the machine starts as set in system prefs.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Why does 1p logo disappear in my OS X 10.12.2 menubar menu?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! If the 1Password icon doesn't appear in your Mac's menubar (or if it disappears from the menubar when you quit the main 1Password app), it sounds like the option to keep 1Password mini running might be disabled.

To check that, please open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar. Select the General tab, and make sure there's a check mark next to the option for Always keep 1Password mini running. (If that option is already enabled, you might also need to enable the option for Show mini app icon in the menu bar.)

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Both boxes are always enabled, yet 1P seems to disappear after some period of time. It stayed there since yesterday, but yesterday I had to open 1P app to get it to show.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto,

Thanks for checking that! I have another theory about what might be going on, related to something you mentioned in your first post:

...if 1P starts up when the machine starts as set in system prefs.

If I understand what you mean, it sounds like you've added 1Password to the Login Items list in System Preferences > Users & Groups. It isn't necessary to do that, and there's a chance that might actually be causing the problem. As long as the 'Always keep 1Password mini running' option is enabled in the main app, it will start automatically when you boot up your Mac, and it does that via a system API which is separate from the Login Items list. Adding the 1Password app to Login Items might cause confusion for mini.

Please go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items on your Mac, and if 1Password is listed there, please remove it. Then reboot your Mac. When it starts again, 1Password mini should automatically launch and appear in your Mac's menubar - and hopefully will stay there.

Please let us know how it goes and if that helps! :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

1P nor Agilebits is a part of the User & Groups/login items. There is nothing to enable in the login items associated w 1P or Agilebits.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @blackxacto.

Next time you encounter this issue after restarting your Mac, please use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostics report as soon as possible:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Then attach the report file with an email to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forum, and do include a link to this discussion and your forum username in the email.

You'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a support ticket ID. Please post that ticket ID here so we can track down your email with the report more quickly and suggest what to do next to keep the 1Password menu bar icon from disappearing.

Thanks in advance!

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, will do as you request.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of sjk, thanks! We're looking forward to hearing from you. :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I pulled a report using your app. Which address do I send the report:
    1. support@agilebits.com
    2. support+forum@agilebits.com

I thought I was not suppose to send it to the forum.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto,

We'll receive an email sent to either address, but sending it to support+forum@agilebits.com lets us know you contacted us on our forums first. It's just one of the things that help us "connect the dots" between our forums and our email system. :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Any results from the test I ran and sent back to you? The 1P is in the menubar today.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto

Thank you very much for sending the Diagnostics Report. We're going to take a look at it and see what we can find. We'll be in touch with you over email. Have a great day! :chuffed:

ref: BQP-59674-459

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure why trashing the app, then reinstalling, worked this time. I had done that several times before. But so far so good. Have rebooted several times and the logo stays in the menubar. Will report back if it disappears again. Thanks for your attention.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto,

Thanks for letting us know! It looks like you replied here in the forums instead of replying to the last email Laura sent you, but that's not a problem, and I'll let her know that seems to have solved the problem. If it starts happening again or you have more questions about that, we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member
    Options

I am still having issues w the 1P 6.7.1 logo WILL NOT stay in my overhead menu in macOS 10.12.5. Why will it not stay? If I open the app in my application folder, the logo appears in the menu above, then disappears over time.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @blackxacto,

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with this! I see that you also sent us a new email to get more help with this, and included a new diagnostics report. To avoid confusion, I'll close this forum thread and we'll keep the conversation going via email so we don't duplicate efforts between here and there. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible via email with more information, and hopefully we'll get this all worked out soon. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.