Command + Option + \ running copy command?

Options
danielcompton
danielcompton
Community Member

I've noticed that when I type "Command + Option + \" in Safari (and TextEdit), there is the Mac error 'donk' sound, then 1Password Mini opens. Doing some digging it seems like "Command + Option + \" is globally bound to the Copy command somehow. I've closed all of the possible apps that would be rebinding this, and looked in Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences and couldn't find anything there.

I'm using an Australian Keyboard layout, when I press Option, it switches to this layout:

and uses this key "«" for "\". I'm not sure if that's a red herring though?

Has anyone experienced this before and can help point to the culprit?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.3 (653000) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danielcompton

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about it. As someone who changes keyboards often I do know that shortcuts can get messy! It does sound like something might be interfering when you have the keyboard set up for Australian English. You can change your shortcuts easily, to keep this from happening. Go to Preferences in 1Password then pick General. If you click on the shortcut you'll get the option "Type shortcut" which will let you pick what you want to use:

Please let us know if you try a different shortcut and what works for you! :chuffed:

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Hi Pilar

I can change the shortcut to something else, but my muscle memory is so ingrained that I'd rather not have to :) I notice this behaviour is present on the U.S. English keyboard layout too.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danielcompton,

Do you happen to have Alfred installed on your Mac? If so, that might be the app which is also using the ⌘⌥\ keyboard shortcut. A customer discovered that a few years ago when troubleshooting a different issue related to keyboard shortcuts: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/110582/#Comment_110582

If you have Alfred, you should be able to change or remove that shortcut from its preferences, and it will no longer make that sounds when you use the shortcut to open 1Password mini. Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew

I independently discovered that just now and came here to report back and saw your post. Thanks heaps!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, and I'm glad you were able to figure that out before seeing my post here! I hope you enjoy the absence of the 'donk' sound every time you use the keyboard shortcut for 1Password. ;)

This discussion has been closed.