1Password 6 missing many features

mattfitz
mattfitz
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi
I understand that 1Password 6 is missing many of the features contained in 1Password 4.

• Can't create new items
  • Can't edit existing items
  • Can't generate strong passwords

Why does 1Password 6 exist? If it is a beta, then why is it still the default installation option??

This is very frustrating.
Matt

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @mattfitz,

I am sorry for the troubles with 1Password 6 and the overall confusion. You did the right thing by contacting us. :+1:

It looks like you are using a local vault in 1Password 6 for Windows. The thing is that in 1Password 6 local vaults are supported in read-only mode at the moment. This is a completely new app, we are building it from the ground up, and it is focused on our 1Password accounts. The full support for local vaults is coming to 1Password 6 for sure, but I don't have any timeframes for you.

The end goal is that 1Password 6 will match feature parity of 1Password 4 with local vaults support and then it'll be one Windows app for everyone.

If you are planning to use a local vault, it is safe to stick with 1Password 4 for the time being. Want to stay updated on 1Password 6 release notes? Here is the right page to do that.

I hope it helps. If you have more questions about any of the above, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mattfitz
    mattfitz
    Community Member

Hi Greg. Fully understand that its being built from the ground up (and I applaud that you're doing that). You should NEVER release a new app like that as the MAIN download option, however. 1Password 6 should only be available as a beta release UNTIL it has achieved feature parity the previous version. Frankly, i'm surprised that your Product Manager still has a job..

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@mattfitz:

I am terribly sorry you've had such experience with 1Password! :( We are working really hard to make our message clear and it is our fault you got confused.

Could you please tell us how you came across the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app in the first place? We're intentionally not prompting to update to it from 1Password 4. Once 1Password 6 is ready for local vaults we may notify users that it's available. Until then, we're definitely trying to avoid having people upgrade who depend on this and other features that are not yet complete.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• darrmit
    darrmit
    Community Member

Agreed on this being very frustrating. I built a new PC, installed Windows, and ended up downloading the new version because it's on your main download page. It was so frustrating I actually went back to KeePass for a few months, but missed the browser and iPhone integrations.

I came back to 1PW last night and ended up with the same horribly broken new version, which led me to this forum only to find out that local vaults are read-only and I need to click the tiny download link below the huge download button for version 4. There's no note whatsoever on the download page about version 6 being broken for local vaults. I don't even see it in the recent release notes, and I wasn't warned that my local vault was any less supported than hosted vaults (that I remember).

It's pretty obvious you're pushing the new recurring model hard (understandable), but I really hope this new "broken" Windows app isn't a poor attempt to push users to a "better supported" hosted model. Your pricing page buries the standalone licensing option deep in the "FAQ" section and even includes a warning that it "may not include all features", so it's not looking promising.

It's beginning to feel a lot like all of the other companies who have made a really bad transition from license to subscription. Hopefully I'm wrong, because I've been a VERY satisfied customer up to this point and local vaults are important for anyone privacy-conscious no matter how much they trust AgileBits.

• Hi @darrmit,

Sorry about the downloads page, we still use the regular https://agilebits.com/downloads for 1Password 4 for Windows while everything on 1Password.com is related to 1Password.com, including the download pages, so it is confusing and we agree.

but I really hope this new "broken" Windows app isn't a poor attempt to push users to a "better supported" hosted model

It is not, Windows is the only exception because it is a brand new app and we've decided to focus on 1Password.com first because we still have 1Password 4 for local vaults and we're not going to force anyone onto 1Password 6 until everything is fully supported, specifically local vaults. We would've love to just name 1Password 6 as 1Password.com for Windows but branding is something that's locked in when you submit apps to Windows Store and so on, so renaming it later isn't possible and we didn't want to put users through the efforts of switching apps just so it'd say 1Password 6 once the program support all features and we want to have only one app.

Your pricing page buries the standalone licensing option deep in the "FAQ" section and even includes a warning that it "may not include all features", so it's not looking promising.

Mostly because we've had both standalone licensing and subscription on the same page, it led to more confusion because most customers are not sure which one they'd want to go. So, we've decided to do subscriptions first to simplify the whole onboarding process.

Standalone versions are not going to have all of the features of the 1Password.com service, they are two separate type of products. For an example, family-related sharing features requires a local central server to manage this process and the same for business-focused Teams-related features. This cannot work with local vault files as it is intentionally isolated, so any new features that rely on the servers aren't going to be supported with local vaults. However, we do plan to ensure anything that doesn't have this requirement will be supported for local vaults as well.

It's beginning to feel a lot like all of the other companies who have made a really bad transition from license to subscription.

We have no plans of getting rid of standalone licenses but at the same time, we have to avoid the confusion of having both for new customers. We're constantly trying to balance this to simplify for everyone. By going subscriptions first, we've found it to be the easiest for most folks and the ones that want to do local vaults would just switch to the local vaults later.

The next best thing we can do to simplify is to improve 1Password 6 for Windows as fast as we can to get it to match/exceed the feature parity of 1Password 4 for Windows and local vaults, so that you can switch between them and not go through all of these hassles right now; one app for both local vaults and 1Password.com. 1Password.com is the easiest and quickest to add support for new 1Password apps but local vaults are much more complex because it involves at least two separate data formats (AgileKeychain/Opvault) and over a decade of format changes that needs to be supported, to upgrade them to the latest version we use for people upgrading from 1Password 1-4 versions to 1Password 6.

• darrmit
    darrmit
    Community Member

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate that response. Your engagement via the forums (and on sites like HN) is one of the reasons I really like you guys.

As I said in my post, now that I know the difference between the two versions my situation is resolved and I'm once again a happy customer. I would say to avoid similar situations, though, that download page needs to be updated to somehow reflect the information in this thread.

Thanks again! Looking forward to a fully functional new Windows app.

• You're welcome.

Thanks for your suggestion, how would you suggest us to do it on the https://1Password.com/downloads/? It is not likely that people are going to read a long description like the way I wrote it on the downloads page. Would you say maybe changing the link for 1Password 4 to be a bit more visible?

• mattfitz
    mattfitz
    Community Member

No. I'm still not happy with the response. You guys don't seem to be able to admit that 1Password 6 is broken software and should not be the default download option. If you can't seem to handle something so simple, i think i'd better try KeePass.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@mattfitz: I am sorry to hear that your image of 1Password is like that. It was not our intention. :(

In order for us to improve our message, could you please share how did you stumble upon 1Password 6 in the first place? As mentioned above, we never prompt to download it to 1Password 4 users. Also, if you have any issues or difficulties with 1Password 4, please let us know. We are always here for you, so let's stay in touch. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• mattfitz
    mattfitz
    Community Member

It's got nothing to do with an automatic upgrade from 1Password 4 to 1Password 6. It's great that you don't do that.

I have rebuilt my work PC and Home PC's in the last 6 months.

If I go to install 1Password on a BRAND NEW Windows machine i do the following:

It downloads 1Password 6.. This should not happen. 1Password 6 is incomplete beta software.

• Hi @mattfitz,

Thanks for sharing that with us, we appreciate it.

1Password 4 is the default download on the https://agilebits.com/downloads. However, the downloads on 1Password.com is for the 1Password apps that support 1Password.com service and that means 1Password 6 for Windows is the default there.

However, I do want to mention that 1Password 6 is not a beta software, it is stable with a limited set of features but it is a stable version being used by a lot of 1Password.com customers. However, for customers who are using the local standalone vaults, it does list 1Password 4 below the download button for 1Password 6. We'll see if we can adjust this to make this a bit more obvious.

• darrmit
    darrmit
    Community Member

@MikeT in my mind it would make sense to add to the "Requires Windows 7 or newer" something like "Requires online account (or whatever it is you call it) - offline vaults are currently feature limited". Or at least make the link bigger and add a note that 1Password 4 is still recommended for standalone vaults. Anything obvious like that would've saved me a ton of trouble.

• mattfitz
    mattfitz
    Community Member

@MikeT, FFS!
    "Limited set of features"?!? It isn't possible to Add, Edit or Delete items!
    You guys are completely out of touch with your customer base. I'm out of here..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@mattfitz: As Greg mentioned last week, 1Password 6 does not support local vaults. 1Password 4 is a mature app that does though. It sounds like you've purchased a standalone license for that and have been using it already, so why not stick with that, since it has all of the features you're accustomed to? :chuffed:

• mattfitz
    mattfitz
    Community Member

@brenty: I don't care whether I use a local vault or not. In fact I'd prefer not using one. My vault is in Dropbox. When I tried 1Password 6 it connected to the remote vault but I could not Add/Edit/Delete items.

Your company clearly does not care about the experience for users in my position - and this is very disappointing.

Here is the likely frustrating scenario:
    1. I go to install 1Password on a new PC in 6 months time (as has happened to me twice in the last 6 months).
    2. I follow the installation instructions on https://1password.com/downloads/
    3. Your site provides me with 1Password 6
    4. I configure 1Password 6 only to find that it still does not cater to me
    5. I curse loudly, uninstall your dodgy, feature lacking software and download 1Password 4

I would HAPPILY stick with 1Password 4, however there is no caution notice on the download page.
    There should be instructions on the Download page that say something to the affect of:
    "Our latest release does not support all customers. Rather than wasting your time installing 1Password 6, please install 1Password 4. You will need to do this if.."

• Madrox
    Madrox
    Community Member

same thing happenend to me, reinstalled windows and bamm i installed version 6 and couldn't figure out what was wrong until i hit the forums.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, we'll look at adjusting our 1Password.com/downloads to make it clear that standalone local vaults customers need to download 1Password 4 instead and that 1Password 6 requires the 1Password.com subscription.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mattfitz: That just isn't true, but I'm really sorry that you've gotten that impression. If we didn't care, we wouldn't be here. The difficult thing is that the download page offers both versions, but there's no way for the website to know if you're using a subscription or a license. Only you can know that, so the download page can't cater to your needs in that case. We're here to help anyone who needs it, and we're working hard to get the new app ready for all 1Password users on Windows, but it isn't something that can happen overnight. That's the solution here: to have a single app: no more confusion. We're not there yet, but we'll get there. :blush:

• mattfitz
    mattfitz
    Community Member

@brenty, all the download page requires is text that explains the shortcomings of 1Password 6 and directs existing users to the 1Password 4 download. I shouldn't have to come to the forums to figure out what is wrong.

@MikeT, Thanks for acknowledging the issue.

• You're welcome.

Offering two versions on the same page isn't enough, at the very least, explain why there are two, so our customers can make the right decision.

• exile
    exile
    Community Member

I feel compelled to add to this thread because i too have been completely confused by the utterly foolish decision by Agilebits to put 1password 6 front and center on the main download page. I have been a long time user of 1password on my mac and recently i switched to a pc. The process of migrating my account over to the pc has created endless frustration due to the fact that agilebits pushed me directly to version 6. First and foremost I have gotten absolutely no response from your technical support team after multiple email requests for information. Secondarily, I have had to search out this forum thread to get the most basic information about the fact that 1password 6 is not a fully developed version of the program and won't be in the foreseeable future. What the hell?? For a company that has made a superior product, these actions are totally baffling to the point of wanting to abandon the software altogether. I can't say this more simply - get your act together and get clear information on your main download pages or you will indeed start losing customers like myself. this niche area passwords/vaults is chock full of other players so you are on thin ice. And by the way, the notion that 1password 6 is still not fully functional is quite insane. I believe I've had it on my pc for several months now. What is this company doing besides endless media placement for it's product line?

• exile
    exile
    Community Member

no need to respond to my complaint. I've since gotten rid of 1password and replaced it with dashlane. The customer service was nonexistent in regards to my problem and therefore you lose my business.

• Hi @excile,

We're sorry to hear that and we do understand that. We have been overwhelmed with a lot of emails coming in due to various holidays, releases plus we're been severely short-staffed over the past few weeks due to illnesses and a company retreat, so we were not able to reply to everyone in time. We're trying our best to catch up right now.

We put 1Password 6 for Windows up front on 1Password.com because it is the only program that works with 1Password.com service, 1Password 4 doesn't work with it but we didn't do a good job to clarify that users need 1Password 4 if they need standalone vaults for the moment. 1Password 4 remains up and front on AgileBits.com.

. Secondarily, I have had to search out this forum thread to get the most basic information about the fact that 1password 6 is not a fully developed version of the program and won't be in the foreseeable future.

Correct, 1Password 6 for Windows is a brand new program, it is going to take some time to add all of the features that we've added to 1Password 4 for Windows over six years of development and we're trying to compress all of that within a year as much as we can. We're rolling it out in stages, so that customers using 1Password.com on multiple platforms can have a basic Windows app to work with while we add more features over time.

And by the way, the notion that 1password 6 is still not fully functional is quite insane. I believe I've had it on my pc for several months now.

The first stable release came out back in October, we've been shipping a new update monthly since then but this last month we're a little bit behind because we're doing an even larger than usual update as we're also working with Intel with SGX support and Microsoft on a few things.

This discussion has been closed.