why should I pay for a subscription instead of just buying a standalone license.

I'm highly considering using 1Password. My current password method is keeping all of my usernames and passwords in a document that I have on an encrypted/hidden partition on my computer. That document is also backed up to securesafe so that I can view it where ever I am. Many of my passwords are currently the same long complicated password that use different user names/emails. This has been working for me, but my wife keeps forgetting her passwords. So I like the idea of being able to have all of our user names and passwords saved in one place and easily accessible. I would most likely only need one account as I don't need to keep any of my passwords hidden from my wife and our only child isn't even 2 yet.

That being said, I've done a lot of reading on your website and in some forums, but I'm still not sure why I would want to pay for the subscription. Syncing using Dropbox sounds fine to me, so the automatic syncing isn't a deal breaker/maker. The other benefits of the subscription don't sound that appealing. Maybe I'm not fully understanding them or not realizing why I need them. Could you help me understand (explain in more depth than the brief explanations listed on your website please) the benefits of the subscription vs the standalone version?

One other question, the browser extensions seem to me like they would impose a security threat, as you can search for whatever password you want. Unless they don't work while the main app is locked. (Same with the IOS version). Thanks in advance for your help and clarification.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why should I pay for a subscription instead of buying the standalone version

Comments

• Oh, and what are the benefits of always having an up-to-date app vs not getting the major updates as in the stand alone version. Also, how often do the major updates come out? Another thing I'm considering as with buying the standalone and the pro-versions of the IOS apps for both my wife and I would total $85 which comes out to a few months short of 2 years worth of monthly subscriptions. Thanks

• PilarPilar

Team Member

Hi @bspicer

Thank you for taking some time write to us and to learn more about 1Password, I'm glad to hear that you're interested in using it! I'll be glad to answer every question you have :chuffed:

First of all, there's quite a difference between using a file where you have a list of passwords and using a password manager. 1Password will not only store your passwords but it will also make it very easy to input them on any site. It also makes it much easier to have both strong and unique passwords for every site you use. Furthermore, 1Password also generates strong, random passwords for you. The strongest password is one generated randomly.

Many of my passwords are currently the same long complicated password that use different user names/emails.

Just so you know, I'd like to advice to you to change this. When a site has a leak (because they were storing passwords in plaintext or any other of the 100 things we've seen these days) your data will be out there. If you're only using said password for that specific site then you only have one account compromised. If you are using the password for other sites every site with the same password will be compromised.

If you want to use 1Password with your wife the ideal set up for you would be 1Password Families. You'd each have a Personal vault and a Shared vault depending on whether the login belongs to just one of you or if it's something shared. If you prefer to, you can of course get an Individual account and share everything instead. Whatever works best for you!

Could you help me understand (explain in more depth than the brief explanations listed on your website please) the benefits of the subscription vs the standalone version?

With a 1Password.com account your data is stored in our servers. This means that you don't have to worry about syncing, you just need to set up your account in your devices and you're all set. Keep in mind that if you want to sync via Dropbox and use 1Password with your wife you both will have to also share the same Dropbox account and have the same account set up in your devices. When your data is stored on our servers, you can access your data via any browser even when 1Password is not installed in it. There's no way to do this with a standalone license.

the browser extensions seem to me like they would impose a security threat, as you can search for whatever password you want. Unless they don't work while the main app is locked.

You can only use the 1Password extension when you have unlocked 1Password in general. The 1Password extension communicates with the main app and you can only globally lock or unlock 1Password. There are several different setting that will let you find the best configuration for you. You can go from having 1Password to lock only at the end of the day or have 1Password lock after a minute of it not being used. Depending on how you use it you'll be able to see what configuration works best for you.

Oh, and what are the benefits of always having an up-to-date app vs not getting the major updates as in the stand alone version.

We're always working to improve 1Password, and you only get the results of this if you're using the latest version. However that's just the very broad answer. While some changes are just new or better features most of them are related to security. As time goes by new threats appear, we're always on top of all these things and do our best to be one step ahead of them always. If you don't get the latest version of the app you leave yourself open for problems that have been addressed or fixed already in later versions. All this is important in general but even more so with software that will handle sensitive data, like your passwords. Not only 1Password changes, but the OS changes as well. 1Password adapts to the new changes made in the OS so there will be a point in which the version of 1Password is just too old to run in the new OS.

Also, how often do the major updates come out?

We don't have a set timeframe for how often major updates are released, and we don't have a time frame for when 1Password 7 will be released. What I can tell you is that 1Password 6 was released a year ago and the most likely scenario is that there will be a major release before 2 more years have gone by :chuffed:

If you have any questions or if there's any point that you'd like me to clarify or go into a bit more depth please let me know and I'll be more than happy to do so!

• I was in the same boat as you. I decided to get the subscription over the standalone because I can't load Dropbox everywhere I go and I really don't don't to update my usb thumb drive each time I add an new password/username on a site. I tried this for a month, having my passwords on my key everywhere I went and it was too much of a hassle. I have 1Password on multiple devices and find it to be easier than the standalone.

• Thank you Pilar and Toobs for your replies. They were very helpful! I do realize the importance and benefit of using a password manager in general (unique good passwords), and that it is better than my current working password. :) My wife and I take what the Bible says about marriage quite literally, and we do our best to be one (while still keeping our individual identities), we don't keep things from each other (of course surprises :) The passwords she remembers I already know and use to help her out. She doesn't have a dropbox account, at least that she uses, and I've set up mine on her computer and phone as I share documents with her for our ministry, so that isn't an issue. Any device or computer I will have the 1password app will have my Dropbox account, so as long as the IOS app syncs with the IOS Dropbox I Gould be fine on syncing.

Does Dropbox's versions work with recovering mistakes (deleting or revising passwords? I know it wouldn't be as confident as your versions on the subscription, but would it still work?

I know the app is encrypted with your master password and license key, how does that work on your account where you're not logging in on your device (sounds less secure).

I was also hoping you could elaborate on the other benefits/ differences in the subscription. As I mentioned in my first post, automatic syncing isn't going to get me to the subscription model, I need other reasons.

Thanks again!

• PilarPilar

Team Member

Hi @bspicer

Thank you for your reply, I'm glad to hear that you're going to stay secure. Whatever option you pick, that's what matters :chuffed:

It sounds like either an individual account or license will be good for you. It's great to hear that you're on the same page on what access to have where! Just as a personal observation, keeping things separate can be good for organization purposes, and not only about trust ;)

Does Dropbox's versions work with recovering mistakes (deleting or revising passwords? I know it wouldn't be as confident as your versions on the subscription, but would it still work?

Yes, on one hand there's the option of "Previously used passwords" on standalone licenses. On the other, if it's something bigger you can try to restore an earlier backup in case of an emergency. This part has to be done carefully as anything new would also be lost at least for time being but it's good to know that there's always a way to see into the past :)

I know the app is encrypted with your master password and license key, how does that work on your account where you're not logging in on your device (sounds less secure).

Actually this part is the other way around. If you use a standalone license then your data will be encrypted only with your Master Password. If you have a 1Password.com account all your data is only ever decrypted directly on your device and it's encrypted using a combination of your Master Password and the Account Key. The Account Key is a 128 bit string of random characters and it's generated locally in your computer. Neither your Master Password or Account Key are ever sent over the internet.

Besides automatic syncing one of the most important features of a 1Password.com account is the fact that you can access your data anywhere you are (with your Master Password and Account Key). There is nothing similar to this with the standalone access.

I hope that this helps you chose the best option of 1Password for you. Whatever you pick, we'll be here to help you set up :chuffed: And of course, if you have any other questions before going one way or another we'll be glad to help you out!

• Thanks for your answers! So are the above mentioned differences the only differences between the standalone and the subscription? Thanks again!

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited January 2017

@bspicer: The apps themselves are the same, whether you go with a license or a subscription (with the exception of Windows, since the new app does not yet support local vaults), with the differences being that there are some features that depend on the hosted service to function (sharing, sync, web interface, etc.) Cheers! :)

• Thanks!

• RomanRoman 1Password Alumni

On behalf of brenty, you're welcome. Please let us know if you need anything else. We’ll be happy to help!

• This is bspicer on my new subscription account, thank you @Pilar, @Roman, @brenty, and @toobs. I never thought I'd get a subscription, but for the sake of keeping things simple for my wife in case something happens to me, I made the jump to a subscription (still an individual as we share everything). Thanks for all of the answers to my questions!

• AG_AllesAG_Alles 1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

bspicer, on behalf of Roman, Brenty, and Pilar, you're more than welcome! :-) We're glad to know that you find your 1Password account easy to use and we hope you enjoy it. As always feel free to reach out in the future if you need help :-)

This discussion has been closed.