Can't find 1Password app in Firefox

JDW
JDW
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

I don't have this problem with Chrome or Safari -- only Firefox. The following annoying dialog appears repeatedly:

https://cl.ly/2H0R1X0n1a1g/Image 2017-01-21 at 10.46.05 AM.png

It doesn't matter if I have the 1Password app open in the background. I reinstalled Firefox to no avail. When I reinstall the Firefox browser extension, it still cannot connect (yes, I clicked ALLOW) and it shows me the following page:

https://cl.ly/0i3F0a06112g/Image 2017-01-21 at 10.47.17 AM.png

It might be permissions related, but even if so, I don't know how to fix it. I was using FF version 43 and when I tried to update in FF it complained I had insufficient permissions (despite the fact I am logged in as Administrator). So I manually deleted FF and updated the newest version, and FF now works fine, but I still have this 1PSW problem.

I am using a 2015 MBP 15". When I bought this Mac a month ago, I migrated from my iMac's Time Machine backup. I was having occasional permissions quirks (some apps would not write to their preference file), so I followed the advice given on Apple's site here to reset permissions for my Home folder:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

After that, I had no problems until today. So it might be a continued permissions problem or it might be something else. But the fact remains I don't have these problems when I use 1PSW in Chrome or Safari. It's only FF. And I am running FF 50.1 right now (latest version).

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, when I open the 1Password app and check for updates, it says I am running the newest version 6.5.3 (Agile Bits Store). My OS is Sierra 10.12.2.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
_OS Version: 10.12.2
_Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member

Well, I fixed the problem, although I don't know how or why. What I did was click the Tools menu in FF, and then I chose Add-ons, and after that I clicked Extensions. I then saw a progress bar, then a code appeared, then I approved it, and then it started working. So that seems to be the only way to fix this kind of problem in FF. You are forced to open the Add-ons. Nothing else works.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JDW

Thank for taking some time to write to us with your issue and then the update with the solution that you've found. It sounds like something in Firefox was interfering with the 1Password extension. I'm curious, are you using other extensions? Sounds like one of them might have interfered... Either way, I hope that 1Password behaves well for you from no on all your browsers, but if you need help with anything else we're always here for you :chuffed:

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member

Hi Pilar,

No other extensions in Firefox. The dialog kept appearing in rapid succession about 3 times, and then it stopped for about 30 seconds and then starting appearing again. Nothing I tried worked until I opened Add-ons, at which point the code entry dialog finally appeared and I was able to approve it and then there were no further dialogs. Again, I've never had this problem in Chrome or Safari. Must be something inherent to FF. And again, it happened in two different versions of FF. But the problem is fixed so I am no longer worried about it. But my advice to FF users who experience the same thing is just to open the Add-ons. For some reason, that is the magic cure!

Best wishes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JDW: That really does sound like a deeper issue. I'm glad to hear it's working now, but that shouldn't be necessary...and I'm concerned that you'll keep having related problems. I'd encourage you to repair permissions after booting from your Mac's recovery partition. I wouldn't be surprised if these were artifacts from the migration. And definitely contact Apple if these issues persist. They'll have other options at their disposal. Cheers! :)

• JDW
    JDW
    Community Member

Thank you for the helpful tips, brenty!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.