Is the iOS Keychain still relevant?

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Lounge

I am asking as, if I turn of PIN code in 1Password for iOS, the Master Password goes into the iOS keychain. I have left it off in my phone's settings. Is there a benefit of enabling the Keychain in the Device?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem: It isn't possible to disable the iOS Keychain, so I'm guessing you're referring to iCloud Keychain. Confusing, right? ;)

While 1Password for iOS will store a secret based on your Master Password in the Keychain if you use Touch ID to unlock, this is stored only locally on your device regardless of your Keychain settings, so it isn't something that syncs at all.

I personally find iCloud Keychain useful for the stuff 1Password can't help with, like remembering Wi-Fi networks and syncing them across devices. Every time I setup a new connection on one device and the others automatically connect, I'm reminded how great Apple can do some things. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks Brent. I'll have to look it up. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

How to change all your passwords in minutes? 10 minutes anyway. 2 year old article from April 2014.

cultofmac.com/274110/10-minute-password-update/

"1Password & 1Password Extension – There is no magic button to reset all your passwords at once but the tools from 1Password make the process a lot quicker with password generation features, auto-filling and synching to the iPhone app.

Safari & iCloud Keychain – Safari’s new iCloud Keychain features can also auto-generate passwords, auto fill forms, and sync your info across devices. It’s not as feature rich as 1Password, but it’s free and you can sync your data with 1Password via iCloud.
    DiceWare (optional) – If you have a hard time remembering the random generated passwords created by iCloud Keychain or 1Password, DiceWare has a random generator for passwords that are easy to remember."

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nice! The look of 1Password is a bit different now, but it's definitely nice to have a breakdown like that for folks who have a lot of passwords to update. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

You're welcome. At the time of posting, I didn't much of Mac vs iOS and the article was primarily for 1Password for Mac.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.