cant install extension for chrome or firefox on android

Options
Alero
Alero
Community Member

Hi,
i cant install extension for chrome or firefox on android. get an error message:
An error occured. Please try again or contact us for assistance.

Any Ideas?

Regards
Alero

1Password Version: 6.4.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Alero
    Alero
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Alero: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! Mobile browsers don't support extensions the way the desktop versions do, so that isn't possible. 1Password for Android has a custom keyboard for filling:

Use the 1Password keyboard to fill in Chrome and apps on your Android device

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• chrblum
    chrblum
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Are you aware that it doesn't work at all with Firefox beta on Android? Also, the overall user experience is really bad. Having to switch to a special keyboard that would not let me type anything but ASCII letters (not all of us speak languages that are limited to 26 letters), then manually fill out form fields really isn't something that I want to do on a daily basis. And as I said, it doesn't work at all with Firefox while it does work partially with Chrome -- well, unless you mind that your password ends up in the username field for some web sites. For me, the keyboard solution is a show stopper, it's simply impractical.

Wouldn't it be possible to somehow team up with the browser developers?

• peri
    Options

Hi @chrblum. I hear you, and we do understand the custom keyboard isn't the ideal solution. However, when we added support, we thoroughly assessed all possibilities, and the keyboard and accessibility service were the only way we could securely fill without using the clipboard at the time.

That said, a lot has changed since then, and we're currently in the process of reworking filling on Android, so you should be able to expect a much easier solution soon. Keep an eye out for future updates. :wink:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chrblum: Also, the 1Password Keyboard, while not perfect, is a workable option for people who won't be able to take advantage of newer Android releases. Anyway, you should have better luck with the stable version of Firefox. Lately it seems like every time they release a new beta it breaks, but whatever is causing it seems to be fixed in the next stable release again. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.