watchtower web page (via learn more link) drives chrome cpu up like crazy

dmkahndmkahn
edited January 26 in Mac Beta

fyi ...

Just noticed when following the learn more link to the 1password watchtower web page (when there's a banner in 1p to change a password) it drives chromes cpu usage up like crazy. Not sure what it's doing, but I had a hard time scrolling that page, and until I killed that tab, the cpu usage was going nuts.

You could see it in Activity Monitor, but didn't see anything using chromes task manager so not sure what tt's doing.

I am using 2 EFF extensions (https everywhere and privacy badger) which might make it worse. It gets a little bit better when I disable those 2 extensions, but the cpu usage is still wildly out of control as long as a tab to a 1p watchtower page is open. What could that page possibly be doing? One thing I noticed is that there's an outline for something called Nav-agilebits in the upper left that never gets filled in. The page is not actively loading according to chrome (the spinner isn't spinning) so there's nothing to stop.

Very odd.

-David

1Password Version: 6.6.BETA-4
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• safari not quite as bad, but you can see some sort of safari networking process using a lot of cpu in activity monitor when that same page is open in safari. I deliberately don't use most extensions in safari so I can test pages like this. It has the same issue with the that agilibits nav menu item on the upper left hand side of the page.

I was using this page to test it:

https://watchtower.agilebits.com/check?h=gmail.com

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @dmkahn,

Thanks for contacting us about this, definitely very odd as i'm not seeing that behavior here myself.

Would it be possible for you to take samples of the processes using the high amounts of cpu using Activity Monitor? If you select the process in Activity Monitor when this is happening and click on the gear button there is a menu item that allows you to run a spindump.

If you send that report to support+forum @ agilebits.com and mention this thread we'll take a look and see if we can identify the source of the CPU usage.

Rudy

• I'll do that, but some more info. It looks like it's trying to draw something continually next to the sites name (gmail.com). The graphic for the menu item on the upper right's image gives an error when I try to open the image in a new tab:

da9ipfiyfnxgu.cloudfront.net’s server DNS address could not be found.

• dmkahndmkahn
    edited January 26

samples for 798 and 30944 sent

Do you think that thing it's trying to write next to the site name is using the gpu?

-David

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

Hi @dmkahn,

Thanks for the updates, i think we can skip the spindumps. I have filed a report with our website team to address the issue.

Rudy

• Thanks Rudy ... this is what it's continually trying to draw next to the site name:

https://d2x2f6qan2kccj.cloudfront.net/images/login/64/www.example.com.png

I mean it's fine if it can't load those files/images, but why does it make the cpu usage go nuts? :)

• rudyrudy

AgileBits Team Member

@dmkahn,

I'm not sure why it causes the CPU to go nuts, but the team responsible for that server is aware of the situation.

Rudy