Is it possible to create a custom category and groups?

barbarino351
barbarino351
Community Member

Is it possible to create a group, in my case I want to create a group called "bills" and with one click they all open then login different tabs, is this possible?

Can I create a custom category? I want to add in some vehicle information such as license plates, insurance, vins etc.

The longer I use this program the more I use it for additional non password related items.

Thanks

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.5.3 (653001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6 (15G1217)
Sync Type: Icloud

Comments

• Hi @barbarino351,

Thanks for writing in with your questions, they're certainly good ones.

It isn't currently possible to create custom categories, so if you're wanting to store those kinds of information I would recommend looking at the Secure Notes item type for the time being.

If you're using the standalone version of 1Password you can create Folders or Tags to group a bunch of items into a common group.

If you're using a 1Password.com account with your 1Password application then your only option is to use Tags.

Rudy

• itsonlycomputers
    itsonlycomputers
    Community Member

+1 on this idea! this would be wonderful!

• @itsonlycomputers,

Thanks for the feedback.

Rudy

• quickdraw6906
    quickdraw6906
    Community Member

Ditto! Very helpful, that feature would be.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know, @quickdraw6906! :)

• fatoink
    fatoink
    Community Member

+1, as I use this more and more, custom categories is becoming important.

• Thanks. :)

Ben

• Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member

I'd also like to join in the chant. Custom categories are a great idea.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hopefully we'll be able to make them a reality in a future version. Cheers! :)

• gregcarp
    gregcarp
    Community Member

This is a usability issue for me. I need my wife to use 1Password. She hates technology and computers in general. Every time I try to explain 1Password to her her head explodes. I need to be able to give her simple, repeatable instructions, e.g.

• Open 1Passwd
    • Select Finances (custom Category)
    • Select (Bank of America | Santander | Fidelity | TDA | ...)

or

Select Utilities"

or

I handle online finances on a day to day basis but I need her to be able to step in "cold" in case I can't do so for some reason. I need custom categories.

As a long-time developer I'm surprised by the lack of abstraction in the original software design. I understand the need to keep security-related code as small and concise as possible but customizable categories is pretty basic and shouldn't be hard. Water under the bridge though, I also understand why major refactoring of a security application codebase is risky business.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gregcarp - Thanks for understanding. You've indeed hit on some of the main issues currently surrounding this. We appreciate your position as well: this is a much-requested feature, and all I can say is: stay tuned. ;)

• ghelton
    ghelton
    Community Member

Can't wait for this feature, I've been using 1Password for over a decade and this is the one thing I've wanted more than anything. Really excited to see that it's planned and coming soon!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to let us know! We cant promise anything yet, but at the same time we want this very much ourselves and hopefully can find a good way of doing it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.