All my entries of licenses for software starting with letters a-c are gone , the rest remain

Gunnar
Gunnar
Community Member

I have several entries in 1 password for software license keys. All entries are gone for the software starting with letter a-c. The ones starting by the letter D and so on are intact.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gunnar,

I'm sorry you seem to be missing some Software License items! That's very strange, I don't know why that would happen. Do you use multiple vaults in 1Password? If so, use the vault switcher in the top left corner of the main 1Password app and choose each vault to see if the missing items are there.

If you can find them in any vault (or if you only have one vault), have you tried searching for them? In the main 1Password app, use the 'Search' field at the top of the window to type the name of one of those items. Does it find any matches?

Please also click on 'Trash' at the bottom of the left sidebar in 1Password, in case you somehow accidentally moved those items there.

If all else fails and you can't find the missing items anywhere, you can try restoring from a backup. First, make a new backup of your current data by going to File > Backup in the main app. That will open the Backup preferences and show all your backups, including the new one you just made. In that same window, you can select one of the Backup files and click the Restore button. Are you able to find the missing items in any backups?

If you've added or changed any items since the backup that has the missing items, you can export those items to a .1pif file, restore from your latest backup, then import those items from the .1pif file. We'll be happy to go into more detail if you need to do that, just let us know. :)

• Gunnar
    Gunnar
    Community Member

Going back a few backups made no difference. All software licenses för software with names starting with letters A-C were gone. For D I have one I added yesterday.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @Gunnar. Did you try my other suggestions to check other vaults, use the 'Search' field, and check the Trash in 1Password?

You said you tried restoring from a few backups, but if you have other backups you haven't tried which might contain those items, you should try restoring from those as well. The Backup tab of Preferences will show how many items are contained in each backup, so that might help determine which one has the missing items.

If none of your 1Password backups has those Software License items, it sounds like they've been missing for some time now, because it should have backups from at least the past month. Do you remember the last time you saw those items in 1Password?

You originally mentioned that you use iCloud to sync your vault. What other devices do you sync with 1Password? Do those devices still have the Software License items in question?

• Gunnar
    Gunnar
    Community Member

I am syncing an Ipad, an Iphone and another Mac with 1password and the items are missing on all of them. The trash was empty. I am reluctant to go further back in time with backups because I have added a lot lately and I am not sure I will remember all of them to save them. It´s a lot of work anyway. I am leaving town for 2 days, I´ll try when I get back

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gunnar,

I am reluctant to go further back in time with backups because I have added a lot lately and I am not sure I will remember all of them to save them.

Don't worry, you don't need to remember what you've added or changed! I mentioned this briefly in my first reply, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. You can follow these steps to make sure you don't lose any recent changes/additions:

1. If necessary, make a new backup of your latest data by going to File > Backup.
    2. Go to 1Password > Preferences > Backup, select a previous backup, and click Restore.
    3. After restoring, look for the missing items in 1Password.
    4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until you find those items.
    5. Once you find them, select those items by clicking each one while holding shift.
    6. Go to File > Export > Selected Items, enter your master password, then save a .1pif file to the Desktop.
    7. Go to File > Restore, choose the backup with your latest data, and click Restore.
    8. After restoring, open the .1pif folder on the Desktop and double-click the .1pif file inside.
    9. 1Password should ask if you want to import the contents of that file - click Import.

Now you should have all your recent additions & changes as well as the missing items. If so, make sure you delete the .1pif folder from your Desktop, as exported items are unencrypted.

Let us know how it all goes once you get the chance to try that. :)

This discussion has been closed.