BUG REPORT - First sync on Dropbox-stored vault, with an em dash in vault name, crashes 1Password.

theboyk
theboyk
Community Member

Pretty random one here.

First, technical details...

• iPhone 6
• Clean install of iOS 10.2.1
• 1Password (iOS) 6.5.1
• Dropbox (iOS) 32.2
• 8 different vaults stored in Dropbox (mix of older .agilekeychain files and newer .opvault files)

Had to wipe my iPhone and set up from scratch. First thing I did was install Dropbox and 1Password, then attempted to connect 1Password to Dropbox. When 1Password attempts to search Dropbox, after about 5 seconds, the app (1Password) crashes.

Went through a bunch of various troubleshooting options (reinstalls of apps, resetting iOS device, trying on WiFi vs cellular, removing all vaults from Dropbox and putting them back/syncing one at a time, etc.) and eventually traced it back to em dashes being used in a couple of my vault names. For example, the following filename...

MyVaultName—Work.opvault

...crashes 1Password.

Simply renaming the vault, to replace the em dash with a standard dash, resolved the issue (but, took a while to narrow it down to this, since vaults with other special characters, such as &, didn't affect cause crashes.

Odd thing is, I've been using these vaults (originally created via 1Password for Mac) for at least the last 6 months. And the issue only crashes 1Password if those vaults exists on initial setup. If I remove them from Dropbox, set up 1Password with the vaults without the em dash in the filename, then later add these vaults back into Dropbox and add them to 1Password (via 1Password in-app Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vaults > Sync with Dropbox), 1Password searches Dropbox and finds these vaults, with the em dashes in the filenames, and is able to handle them without issue. It only crashes 1Password on initial setup. Like I said...pretty random.

If you need any additional info, let me know.

Thanks,
Kristin.

1Password Version: 6.5.1 (iOS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @theboyk

Interesting! Yes, I'd love to see the crash logs. Here are the steps to send them to us:

1. Plug your phone into your computer and sync it with iTunes.
    2. Switch to the Finder, click on the Go menu and choose "Go to Folder..."
    3. Paste the following into the window that pops up: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/
    4. Select all the files that begin with 1Password and drag them to Mail in the Dock to create a new mail message.
    5. Send the email to support+forum@agilebits.com

Alternatively, if you do not have a computer with iTunes available:

1. Open Settings app
    2. Go to Privacy, then Diagnostics & Usage
    3. Select Diagnostics & Usage Data
    4. Locate the log for 1Password. The logs will be named in the format: 1Password__
    5. Select the desired log. Then, using the text selection UI select the entire text of the log. Once the text is selected, tap Copy
    6. Paste the copied text to Mail and send it to support+forum@agilebits.com

With your email please include a link to this thread:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/74885/
    as well as your forum handle:
    theboyk

When you send the message you will get an automated reply from BitBot containing a Support ID. Please post the Support ID here so we can 'connect the dots.'

Ben

• theboyk
    theboyk
    Community Member

Sent the email this AM, but never received anything back with the support ID. Just sent again this afternoon, but nothing.
    If I check my sent mail, even though I'm sending to support+forum@agilebits.com, sent mail (via Gmail) is showing the "to" address for some reason getting sent to "support@agilebits.com" and not "support+forum@agilebits.com"?

• Thanks @theboyk. I'm not sure why you aren't getting a response from BitBot but I do see your emails and will get them over to the appropriate folks.

Ben

ref: UAA-83259-432

• MrRooni
    edited February 2017

Good morning @theboyk. Thank you so much for taking the time to write in! You are actually the second person to report this issue to us, but I believe you may have provided us with more reproducible steps. I've updated our internal bug report about this problem (the number is OPI-3915, for your reference).

ref: OPI-3915

• theboyk
    theboyk
    Community Member

Sounds good. If you need any additional info, let me know!
    k.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.