1Password doesn't work to fill in Chrome

This discussion was created from comments split from: Chrome extension, Windows 10 and 1Password 6.

Comments

• cclakeman
    cclakeman
    Community Member

I have just converted to 1Password Family from 1Password linked to Dropbox (premium purchased via Apple App Store). I did this mainly because I have to use Windows 10 for work. However, the browser extension for Chrome simply won't work. I have 1Password 6 installed, as well as the Chrome browser extension, which now seems to be universal across MacOS and Windows. CTRL-\ will open the helper, but if I choose any entry from there, it will open it in the browser, but will not populate the login credentials. Further, if I open the helper while in the window, it does not recognize the website. Lastly, if I click on the extension icon, it cannot "find" 1Password, although the app is open and unlocked. Please advise.

• Hi @cclakeman,

Thanks for writing in.

That looks like there's something interfering with 1Password extension in Chrome and 1Password mini, usually by a third party security program on the computer.

Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using on the computer?

• cclakeman
    cclakeman
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

I am using Kaspersky and 1Password is in the Trusted apps. I am getting an error from the 1Password app, now, that says Browser Connection Refused but I am unable to chase down why. I have gone to the support page which led me to checking Kaspersky's app privileges and also to uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, but no luck thus far.

When checking the log, as referenced I see this repeated but cannot make sense of it:

error
    0 2017-02-01 18:23:33Z
    AgileBits.OnePassword.Browsers.WebSocketClientsWhitelist Failed to open process #4148 that initiated web socket connection on port 51097 and origin chrome-extension://aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk.
    4 2017-02-01 18:23:33Z
    AgileBits.OnePassword.Browsers.WebSocketBrowserListener WebSocketSharp.WebSocketException: The header of a frame cannot be read from the stream. at WebSocketSharp.WebSocketFrame.processHeader(Byte[] header) at WebSocketSharp.WebSocketFrame.<>c__DisplayClassa.b__9(Byte[] bytes) at WebSocketSharp.Ext.<>c__DisplayClass9.b__8(IAsyncResult ar)

• Hi @cclakeman,

That explains the problem, 1Password is rejecting the connections from the browsers because either Kaspersky or something else (specifically the process #4148, which isn't your browser or 1Password) is trying to inject itself into the communication process. If allowed, it could see our traffic and that's a big massive no.

Do not reinstall 1Password or extension, this is not an issue within 1Password, it is either Kaspersky or that specific 4148 process, we will not allow any security programs to listen into our secured traffic.

However, the strange thing is, that's not a behavior we've seen before from Kaspersky, this is almost always Sophos' doing. Is Kaspersky the only security tool you have for sure? Can you double check to make sure you don't have Sophos.

The reason I am asking to double-check is that we've worked with Kaspersky before to exclude 1Password by default and they've done so for us, they haven't been a problem for us for a long time.

• cclakeman
    cclakeman
    Community Member

Yes, definitely Kaspersky on my Windows machine. Works fine on my Mac which is actually running Sophos. I see in Kaspersky where 1Password is a trusted app, by default. I am not a big fan of Windows and only use it because my work dictates it. Been using 1PW for well over a year on my Mac / iOS devices without issue.

I do work for a cyber security software company and there is a pen testing software tool on my computer. I will try and uninstall it to see if that changes the results. Cause, I just tried Firefox with the same results as Chrome.

• One thing you can try is reboot into Safe Mode with networking and see if it works there.

This discussion has been closed.